Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Table made from hardwood pallets

dean
Building a Reputation

Table made from hardwood pallets

I have only been playing around with wood for 2 months now, and at the start of September i decided to build a table after i completed a coffee table with built in planter box. My ambition vs my ability was very out of whack..lol. I found that the hardwood pallets were mostly gum, so it gave some great assorted colours and grains. I don't have a plan, i just start to build and work from there. Staring at the wood for ideas...lol. The feet were built from the pallet braces, and combining them together. After i sanded it back, i then oiled it twice with 50:50 Linseed and turps, while sanding in between coats. After that i finished off with a couple of coats of Wax applied with Steel wool. Pretty happy with end result. 

20190913_172050.jpg20190913_172109.jpg

Added a piece on top to protect table a bit. 

20190915_150402.jpg

My first attempt at inside furniture. Coffee Table with Planter Box. 

20190826_071016.jpg20190825_202450.jpg

Dean Macaw
DIY19
Finding My Feet

Re: Table made from Hardwood Pallets

Wow!! Congratulations. They look amazing. Very cleaver indeed.

dean
Building a Reputation

Thank you.

Dean Macaw
Bundaboy
Having an Impact

That is sensational! well done, you obviously have a "knack". I particularly like the legs (and esp. the feet).

I must say though, I have been using pallets for 8 years now for various things and have yet to come across a hardwood pallet, perhaps it's a locality thing. I am jealous.
dean
Building a Reputation

Thank you for you kind comments. There are many hardwood pallets around. Look around industrial sites. They are much better than the pine, and are usually spotted gum. Only thing is they are very heavy..lol.. 

Dean Macaw
Bundaboy
Having an Impact

Thanks mate, alas I live in a country area so there is not a lot of industry so that probably explains the absence of hardwood pallets, they do exist but they are generally of the blue type or similar and thus are returned to the owner.

I did find one once, but when I got it home I discovered it was marked MB grrrr!

Cheers.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations @dean. You have every right to feel proud of your creation. It's a beautiful table that I'm sure you will be able to enjoy for many years. 

We're really pleased to have you join the community and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for new projects from other members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dean
Building a Reputation

Thanks Jason, as i am still learning, and trying to understand the wood that i am working with. I am sure that i will come up against problems..lol, such as movement, which i am reading up on. I will see how they go over the summer.. I am just finishing a Butchers block/island bench, so i will also share when it done. 

Dean Macaw

Hi Bundaboy, what does MB mean, on pallets?

thx in advance 

TerryN
Having an Impact

G/day Dean,Your project came up great.Well done.It looks terrific against the exposed brickwork. I've done a few bits and pieces from discarded pine pallets but the hardwood ones are quite rare these days.(here at least)

Again,well done.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects