Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for a home theatre room

Goldmember
Having an Impact

Suggestions for a home theatre room

Hi all, I’m keen to hear some ideas for my new home theatre. We are converting a bedroom. I’m installing some in-ceiling rear speakers and already have an amp, the other speakers and a big screen, but thinking some cinema-style chairs would be cool. Any other tips gratefully received. And does it matter where you put the sub-woofer in the room? I’ve heard different people say different things.

Dave

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Suggestions for a home theatre room

@Goldmember, what @Yonnee says is right on the money regarding screen/room size. Too big a screen in a smallish room & all viewers will see pixelation, which is sorta like watching a movie through fishnet stockings.

Bear in mind that if you bought a theatre ticket, would you sit in the front row? My guess would be, not by choice, which again @Yonnee has it right. it's tiring if you have to move the head side to side & you miss so much.

The good news is that a smaller room will save you money across the board. You'll get away with a smaller amp, screen, air con, sound proofing & less carpet cleaning after film night. :wink:

In this day & age, a 46cm flat screen TV screen is very affordable, & plenty big enough for a bedroom makeover. I love the idea of retractable screens & projectors, but in a dedicated theatre room, what's the point?

Be discerning about your sound system, too bassy, & the critical dialogue gets drowned out, too shrill, & it's painful. As has been pointed out, sub-woofer placement isn't critical, but if you place it in a corner, by nature of acoustic principles, it will boom unless you show restraint in it's volume level.

Now for the good news, I found a YouTube vid the other day from DIY Perks (I have him in My Favourites list), where he examined acoustic treatments, & he found that bath towels did a better job than the expensive acoustic panels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes

That may sound ugly, but it can be covered cheaply with loose curtains. if you like the look of sheerish curtains, bleach the towels that face the room.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects