Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Shading bedroom from the afternoon sun

The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.

I would like to build a basic timber pergola over the front courtyard that faces west and put shade cloth over the first metre out from the bedroom and ensuite.

Do you think that would be enough to cut the sun heating up these rooms?

Any other suggestions ideas appreciated.

There is currently an aluminum awning over the bedroom sliding glass door but this does not seem to cut down any heat in the room.

Thanks

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: The afternoon summer sun heats up the bedroom and ensuite.

A grapevine for the pergola would be a good choice - not only do you get shade, but also fruit.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Isobel, so many great ideas and I'm spoilt for choice now.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Stuardo,

Hope all is well.

Just wondering whether you've made any progress on this project? It would be great to get an update, or feel free to let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Pergola sounds great. Have you considered getting the glass tinted. Similar to cars. We had the same problem on a previous house, a huge glass slider in main bedroom facing west. We got it tinted and it was quite effective, we have also swapped gauze for vision mesh.
James
Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hey @Jason, no progress yet but a lot of planning and dreaming. It is starting to cool down out there so will be getting into it soonish. I am thinking of building something like this arbour below in front of the windows, but about 4 meters wide so will need an additional post in the middle.Like this only widerLike this only wider

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Stuardo,

Have you seen this post by Workshop member @Wayne - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Building-the-BBQ-Arbor/m-p/4443

Very similar to what you are planning.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @Jason and @Wayne Wow, that is a bit of de je vu. This is what I love about working with timber. So many ways you can cut a few pieces of timber and put them together to make something beautiful and functional. I might take some points from both ideas and see what I come up with.

I suppose watch this space.

May
Cultivating a Following

This is probably really too late yet I've only just found this site today lol
Just wanted to give a heads up as I've lived in many rentals without aircon or fans etc and looking at a house to buy I wouldn't buy anthing unless windows and doors open south and west! Yes west is the hottest side yet did you know it also is the best toget breezes to cool down the house or rooms. Trick is to wait until sun down a little and then open, a roller blind inside does have an impact plus you can open door and have blind down until sun gone. Trees or bushes as you said doing a garden will help. Bunnings has a film that is supposed to cut out heat that you could put on doors yet not sure of sizing.
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Have you considered solar tint on the windows

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects