Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing vertical blinds

katsmith
Growing in Experience

Replacing vertical blinds

blinds.jpg

We have vertical blinds in our front lounge and dining that are dated.

What would you recommend we replace them with?

Thanks for any advice, Kat.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Replacing vertical blinds

Really depends on your needs @katsmith. Do you need privacy? For our front room we did need some privacy as we don't have a front fence or hedge or anything, but didn't want to lose too much light. So we installed a sheer blind as well as new curtains. The blind looks like this:

sheerblind.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@katsmith

We have verticals, even though I never liked/wanted them, so I feel your pain.

@Isobel is on the money, sheers are very classy & curtains of your choice for privacy is ideal.

For the ultimate minimalist look, there are double holland blinds. One being sheer offering daytime privacy, the second is opaque for night-time privacy. 

There are also sliding screens on double tracks that serve the same purpose. The sheers can remain closed, & only withdrawn for window cleaning, the opaque screens to be closed for night-time privacy.

Google Luxaflex, their catalogue caters for a wide range of needs.

Hope this helps.

katsmith
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the ideas. I will do some further investigation. I like the look of those sheer blinds. Privacy isn't a huge issue because we're on a quiet street and there's no need for total blockout like a bathroom or bedroom.

Hi @katsmith, wondering if you have seen panel blinds. I've just purchased them for my she-shed and couldn't be happier. They come in different fabrics ( sheer, light-filtering, blockout,embossed,etc..and are a series of panels which slide/glide across your windows. You can get free fabric samples -  and can even buy them on line if you don't want to collect them. You save by installing the brackets yourself (easy-I've done it )  Google 'blinds-on-line' - and no, I have no connection with them at all,other than a paying customer. Cheers.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@katsmith

@Trying is on the money, the sliding panels that she mentioned, were what I'd described as sliding screens. Funnily enough, I thought of the idea of the sliding panels, over a decade ago when my Sister-in-Law needed something for her front guest bedroom.

We had/have roller shutters on all front windows, & they wanted to provide the same privacy for us, for when we stayed over, but they were/are expensive. They didn't go for the sliding panel idea, but went with 1 roller shutter for the guest bedroom, but didn't get one for the other front window, which looked kinda odd.

Anyway, I've updated the concept by not having them slide, but having them held in position by magnets, which keeps the windows accessible for cleaning & operating window mechanisms. If you're up to making a simple frame, & tacking/gluing your chosen material to it, & the magnets, you're done.

Stopwatch starts now, you have 15 minutes. ; )

If a single panel is too unwieldy to get to window winders, for instance if you have a large window, made up of sliding windows each end, then make 3 panels, or however many panels that you need for the look & convenience.

Hope this helps.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects