Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patching cracks on rendered interior walls

nk2018
Just Starting Out

Patching cracks on rendered interior walls

Hi All,

I have just bought a 1920's bungalow in Rosebery which requires a little bit of TLC. We are focusing on comestic things initally. 

The interior walls of all four bedrooms are cement render, over double brick. We would like to paint it ourselves however i am considered that there is some small cracks and blemishes/holes through the render. Can anyone advise the best was to fix these? I have limited DIY experience so any advice is welcome! I have used a eletric sander to bring some of the old paint bubbles away which has been useful but not sure about patching the render. 

Thanks.IMG_0527.JPGIMG_0721.JPGIMG_1987.JPGIMG_4664.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rendered Interior Walls

Congratulations on your purchase @nk2018. It sounds like a wonderful property. Good luck with the renovation work. 

I'm sure that community members will be happy to help on this occasion and on any other projects you might tackle. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand. If you browse the site you should find plenty of inspiration, too. Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can further improve Workshop for you.

Welcome to the community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PartyDad
Growing in Experience

@nk2018

I can recommend this as very easy to use and got me a perfect finish - https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-multfill-ready-to-use-filler-1kg-white_p1661245

I used it on plasterboard walls, see https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Patching-holes-in-the-wall/m-p/19360

Your cement render might be a bit different to work with compared to plasterboard but it definitely says it can be used concrete, cement sheets, brick, etc

Try it in an unobtrusive spot first and see how you go. Good luck!

Thanks heaps @PartyDad - i will give it a try and let you know how i go!

Homer
Just Starting Out

Re: fixing all

You can buy a tub that is a two part compound which has a filler and sanding agent in it. But first you don't need to sand the blisters, with a paint scraper just run it through the blisters taking them off with indents cracks as well. Then I think it's called not sure was long time ago, GB 100, with finishing coat fill as close to the original wall  leave to dry 100 grit sand paper to sand down then paint.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: fixing all

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Homer. We're pleased you could join us. A very warm welcome to Workshop.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. We look forward to reading about your projects and plans. And please let me know if you ever have any feedback about how we can improve the Workshop site for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects