Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mould in walls

MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

Mould in walls

I started to have a look at the damage to the interior on the weekend. After removing the damaged architraves next to the door I got a look at the inside of the wall next to the glass door, or more importantly a smell. The smell has a distinct mushroom odour to it. What is the best approach to killing and removing the mould that is obviously there. 

Ye

B72A650D-AE7A-4217-B6AA-7FE9E90BF1DF.jpeg

377759DF-A064-4F8D-81E1-A032D750A2ED.jpeg

Shane
Having an Impact

Re: Mould in walls

Is that a brick wall @MelBrown

MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

@Shane It is plasterboard over brick, with insulation in between. I have done some more cleaning up and it isn’t as bad as I first thought but there is still a very mouldy odour coming from it. I think I will spray it with tea tree oil and leave it to dry for a week or two and have another look. 

@MelBrown 

Brickwork can have rising damp, which is a serious issue and needs to be attacked by a professional. 

MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

@Shane @I know what has caused the mould, the back step just next to this wall was not waterproofed for the eight years after this space was converted from a garage to living space. Every time it rained water would have been able to run around the glass sliding door and into this wall. I have now sealed the door up and no more moisture can get in. The area is quite dry, I just need to treat the mould that has already grown. I am going to replace all the plasterboard and mdf architraves and treat everything else with tea tree. 

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @MelBrown - you can kill the mould spores with a decent bleach - White King or Domestos have been tested by Dulux and found suitable for mould killing. Shelley’s Exit Mould would probably work as well. Sounds like you’re well on the way to getting it sorted, cheers Deb :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects