Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lounge and hallway floorboard sand and seal

hermes
Cultivating a Following

Lounge and hallway floorboard sand and seal

A088CC1B-8B6F-4D0C-B819-15A33D211157.jpeg

Hi Brains Trust, 

I am wanting to sand, polish and seal the living room and hallway, whereby there is a mix of Baltic pine and Cyprus floorboards of differing shades. Some areas have a darker shade for the perimeter.  

E30C5F4F-CD7A-4008-9FA8-8414431D5D6B.jpeg

I am considering using Japan Black for the stain once sanded and prior to polyurethane seal.

will the Japan black completely cover the mismatch of shades of timber? For reference, I am keen on this product : 

30EB9FB0-4047-4C69-BCEF-B6E235EA6182.jpeg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-4l-black-japan-floor-finish_p1520372

Also, there appears to be some water marks/stain in the hallway region outside the bathroom affecting the timber. Does this have any bearing on the ability to hold the planned new stain? A view of the floorboards from under the house suggests there are different types of timber used, though this is seen only in areas that I am not planning to paint.

Thank you in advance for your advice 🙏

35DD0B35-06D6-4E84-B49D-F1C4441C9A46.jpeg

EB7BA64C-9696-4421-9F3D-336A0C400C10.jpeg

hermes
Cultivating a Following

Re: Lounge and hallway floorboard sand and seal

Thank you redracer01.

There were so many different ones to buy from BW. I ended up buying a few to mix and match, though the ones I selected were ones you could nail in, then stick over to cover the bottom of chair legs etc.

Btw, anyone who is planning to do something similar with the stain, the polyurethane vapor is something else. Need full PPE!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @hermes. Your floor looks amazing. 

Many thanks for sharing an update.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

@hermes - great job, looks like it’s going to turn out very well. Enjoy!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects