Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Industrial student desk

Patto
Having an Impact

Industrial student desk

Bunnings have recently stocked these great steel industrial looking black metal legs. They went well with the solid Ash panel to make my son this study desk. 

07EEFE4C-D818-4CC9-814E-23751215650F.jpeg

  

9FBC37C3-8C61-43CD-B484-069AC9A37A0A.jpeg

97BD0EAA-9BB7-4396-9286-46C57DCBC0AD.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Industrial student desk

Hi @Patto,

Many thanks for sharing your project and these fantastic legs you've found. I trust our members will be quite interested in this style of table leg as they look fantastic on your build. How long did it take you to assemble the desk?

We look forward to hearing about your next project around the house and garden and I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration for it from within the community. Please let us know if you ever need assistance or if you have something to share.

Great job.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Patto 

This is excellent work! Simplicity and functionality at its best.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

holly11
Just Starting Out

Love it!

Did you cut the Ash Hardwood panel down much?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @holly11.

It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the conversation with a question. Let me mention @Patto so they are alerted to your kind feedback and to see if they can fill us in on the method they used in creating the tabletop.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need a hand with them or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Patto
Having an Impact

@holly11 

I chose to leave the depth as 900mm, most might say this is too deep. My logic on this decision was to allow space for my son (8yo) to display a few bits and pieces without encroaching on the actual work area. His room is a reasonable size so the dimensions were not critical. The width is 1500mm and this was to allow for a nice 900mm x 900mm off cut which I plan to turn into and industrial style low line corner coffee table. 

All in all this was a very simple project with only one cut, plenty of sanding and a bit of epoxy fill and a few screws. I used a non-toxic Cabot’s satin kitchen bench finish.

@Patto 

Great looking table! 

Did you also get the table top from bunnings? 

Hi @Baareeooo. It's amazing to see you join the conversation after being a member for some time.

I trust @Patto appreciates your kind feedback and hopefully can answer your question.

Are you planning a desk build in the future? I trust our members would like to follow along with your project and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

Yes I am. Two in fact, thanks to WFH requirements. 

@Baareeooo 

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the Ash table top was also purchased from Bunnings costing around $173.00. At the time I picked the clearest cleanest panel of Ash that was in stock. If I had my time on this project again, I'd most likely pick a panel with a bit more character which you could enhance with epoxy and dye and make a feature.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects