Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a plasterboard wall?

Maymay
Building a Reputation

How to replace a plasterboard wall?

Hi Bunnings expert team

I am going to replace a plasterboard wall, could you tell how can I do it, thank you

Regards

Maymay 

63A1C429-129C-4309-A296-90185907AD2D.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace a plasterboard wall?

Hi @Maymay,

I would recommend you start by having a good read of this Bunnings resource - How to plasterboard a stud wall. I will also add the video below. 

Once you have had a good look at all the steps required, please feel free to ask any specific questions and I'm sure our ever-helpful community members will be more than happy to assist. 

All the best with your project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi expert team

could you tell me how can I replace the plasterboard wall and materials 

Thank you 

Regards

Maymay 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maymay,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. How are you going with replacing your plasterboard wall?

The tools and materials you'll need for the job are Craftright Retractable Knife With 3 BladesPaslode 40 x 2.5mm 500g Gold Annular Plasterboard Nails 215 PackUni-Pro 50mm Real Good Paint Scraper and Gyprock CSR 5.5kg Acrylic Stud Adhesive. For walls, 10mm is the correct size plasterboard to be using.

First, you'll need to take the measurements of the wall and transfer those onto the new sheet of plasterboard. Cut out the correct size piece to suit. After you have prepared the plasterboard, apply the Gyprock CSR 5.5kg Acrylic Stud Adhesive to the areas on the studs which I have marked in the image below. Once you have applied the stud adhesive place the plasterboard against the wall and use the Paslode 40 x 2.5mm 500g Gold Annular Plasterboard Nails 215 Pack to fasten it around the perimeter.

Please let me know if the video Jason posted didn't answer any additional questions, or if you need further assistance with your project.

Mitchell

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for your fully details and I want to replace the insulation too, what sort of insulation do I need and the wall only 1100mm x1000mm 

Many thanks

Maymay

39BDAC19-07AE-4124-B7E3-5EBBAC2D37BA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maymay,

A great product to use in this situation would be Bradford Gold High-Performance Wall Batts which can be cut to size and inserted between the timber studs. One pack should be plenty to fill that entire wall.

Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. video on How to install wall batts which I trust you'll find useful.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in installing them.

Mitchell

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for your great advice, now I can go to Bunnings to start my shopping 

best regards 

Maymay 

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell
I still need some more advice.

I found cracks on the outside wall, what sort of the board do I need to replace? the rails are made of metal so what sort of nails I should buy?

Thank you

best regards 

Maymay 

C4EF491A-3818-42DF-9F56-E9F0B8AF5D32.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maymay,

The board is most likely a cement-based wall cladding sheet similar to Hardieflex. I've spoken to a few companies and Timbermate believes their Earl's Multflex filler would be suitable to repair that crack. They suggest adding a drop of water to their product and using a spatula to fill the crack up. This product is great for cement-based substrates which may still flex over time.

For screws to go into the rails I would suggest using Zenith 10g x 40mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Head Metal Screws 50 Pack as they will self-drill and you won't need to pre-drill holes for them.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for your advice, how can I cut the Hardieflex with? Or Bunnings will cut for their customers ? Are they easy to cut ? 
Regards

Maymay

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects