Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a clothes rail

LauraH
Just Starting Out

How to hang a clothes rail

I want to hang a clothes rail between two Clever Cube units. What fittings do I need?  the units are white particleboard.  I thought of drilling a hole on one side of each unit, then inserting the rod.  But the cost of a power drill and a hole saw is exorbitant as I will only use them once.  Is there a fitting I can put on the outside of the shelf units to hold the rod?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to hang a clothes rail

Welcome to Workshop @LauraH. It's great to have you join the community as one of our founding members. I'm sure you will find plenty of great advice and information here, including some suggestions for your clothes rail.

Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Have you seen the extenda rails @LauraH? They are self-supporting and hold up to 7kg. There's a few different sizes available. Sounds perfect for your needs.

2576a93c-0356-4016-bdbe-b5b9361ad006.jpg

JP_Finlay
Having an Impact

@LauraH you can also  get chrome rod and fitting flanges from Bunnings. The flanges will screw to the outsides of your clever cube units and hold the rod in place. They are available in a variety of different lengths and diameters but may need to cut to size which will require a hacksaw.

DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

I am with JP_Finlay, I used them in all our wardrobes, quick to fit at look really nice.
The chrome pipe is strong and if the fittings are mounted correctly in my opinion they will hold way over 20Kg over a 1m span.
If the span is longer than that you should put in additional supports or reduce the weight that you exert them to..

These are the Flanges I used - http://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-25mm-chrome-round-flange-2-pack_p4821978

My only other advice with chrome poles is to avoid metail hangers as they will wear and/or scratch the chrome across the top.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects