Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I reduce the white noise and a cold feeling coming from my upstairs window?

CalamityCor
Just Starting Out

How can I reduce the white noise and a cold feeling coming from my upstairs window?

109939393_213819869841661_381155455718501504_n.jpg

Hi everyone recently moved into a new home and when I wake up and when I sleep there's a large amount of white noise coming from my window and also when its a bit windy there's sometimes a bit of a chilly breeze in my room. Is there any way to reduce this? I've asked the builders and they had a "look" and everything's fine. Know of any good ideas. Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I reduce the white noise and a cold feeling coming from my upstairs window?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CalamityCor. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Is the white noise coming from the window itself or is the window amplifying a source from elsewhere in the home? The glass pane or frame could be potentially reverberating from either wind or perhaps another source like a hot water heater which is transferring its motor vibration. I would advise looking for the source of the white noise and addressing how you could stop this first.

A great way to check for leaks around your window frame is to use an indicator. Take a tissue and divide it in half so you have a single-ply sheet. Next time it is breezy take the tissue and hold it up around the window frame. When you are holding it in front of a leak, the air will move the tissue and you can then closely inspect that area.

There is a range of self-adhesive weather seal tape that you can use to fill any gaps around your window frame. If there are smaller cracks you might like to use some Parfix 40g Clear All Purpose Silicone to fill them. I've included below a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. video on How to winter-proof your home which I trust you'll find helpful stopping those winter chills

An option which might solve both these issues would be to install heavy woollen curtains over the window. They'll prevent chilly breezes coming off the window and cut the white noise down dramatically. Here's an easy to follow step-by-step D.I.Y. article on How to install curtain rods.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How can I reduce the white noise and a cold feeling coming from my upstairs window?

Hi thank you Mitchell i'll be trying out most of these things. Most of the white noise is from outside I can even just hear my neighbours walking around outside and all the road noise. I'll do the tissue trick and record it for the next inspection. 

Thank you

Kind regards

Corey

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects