Ask a question

Mounting my television and hiding the cables

JenniferB
Finding My Feet

Mounting my television and hiding the cables

MountedTV.jpg

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help me?

I am wanting to mount my television on my wall, but I dont want any of the cables to show.

How do I go about achieving this neat look in the easiest way possible!?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How can I mount my television and hide the cables?

When I did the bedroom tv I used -
Crest Fixed Low Profile TV Wall Mount Small to Medium
FEATURES • Fixed low profile mount for small to medium TV’s • Fits most screens from 15” to 47” (38 to 119cm) • Sturdy steel construction to support up to 35kg • Easy DIY installation
TECH SPECS: • Max VESA mounting pattern 200x200mm • Distance from wall to TV 1.7cm • Installation hardware pack also included
PRODUCT CODE: LCD009
Crest Full Motion TV Wall Mount Small to Medium
FEATURES • Full motion wall mount with adjustable arm and 15 degree downward/upward tilt & 180 degree swivel for small to medium TV’s • Fits most screens up to 32” (81cm) • Sturdy aluminium & steel construction to support up to 18kg • Integrated spirit level for simple and accurate installation
TECH SPECS: • Max VESA mounting pattern 75/100/200x100mm • Mount extends from 5.5cm to 41.3cm from the wall • Installation hardware pack also included
PRODUCT CODE: LCD003
RRP: $49.95

Given that there is also a Blu-ray player and recorder and that wall is solid I have some cables showing and the power comes from the opposite wall. Flat mount Arial was meant to go behind the tv but it would only tune in on another wall... So far been used less than 10 times.

If you have gyprock walls an electrician should be able to wire a power point with an aerial socket in the footprint of the tv, a lot would want to use the skirting board though. You hay have to invest in a stud finder to find a solid area to screw the mount into the wall.
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I know a lot of people like hiding their cabling behind the wall, but we just use a white  cable tidy, which is unobtrusive. Just as long as you don't have a spagetti of many different wires/cables of different colours. Just one white one to match the white wall blends in. Can save on the expensive of an electrician and allow you to add/change components down the track.

tidy.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

This is what I'll be using to hide my speaker wires and HDMI cable..

Zone Hardware 15 x 25mm 2m Snap On Cable Management Duct from Bunnings..

Just paint it to your wall colour and you won't hardly notice it..
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

You really shouldn't need to be an electrician to run some conduit through the wall that you can put your cables through. Do you have a nearby power point and antenna connection @JenniferB

For the mount, obviously just be careful of the weight. TVs can be surprisingly heavy...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@BecSparky might be keen to join this conversation and recommend getting an electrician involved.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Hi @JenniferB, the easiest thing for hiding the cables would be cable ducting, as @MartyH suggested. The Bunnings web site plays tricks on me, & I wasn't able to find @MartyH's product, nor could I find the nice low profile "D" shaped duct on the site, that I've seen on their shelves. :frustrated:

Anyways, here's a link from another site, that shows which one I mean:

Decor friendly, paintable cable management duct

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

We had the same issue and the solution for us was to channel out the wall (it was broken so a bigger job than plasterboard) and recess conduit in it larger than required. We then filled in the channel and let the plaster/concrete set , rubbed and prepped and painted. Can't tell it is even there and it looks brill. All up about 8 hours work over a few days and a week to dry before painting.
One tip I would suggest is run a piece of rope or string through the conduit to make getting new cables through easier for the future
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Thanks @MartyH, you're a champion. :bigsmile:

I don't know what I do wrong, but I really struggle with searches on the Bunnings site. I've gone back over my surfing history for this morning, & only 4 D-Line products came up, none of which were what I was looking for. :puzzled:

It certainly looks like a D-Line product with the snap on cover, & pretty much a wider (70mm?) version of this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/d-line-2m-white-mini-adhesive-cover-cable-management_p4430324

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects