Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I modify this loft bed to make it work?

billiebillie
Just Starting Out

How can I modify this loft bed to make it work?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/stora-loft-bed-frame__AA-370699-9_pub.pdf 

Hello,

I would really appreciate any advice/ suggestions  on how to make this loft bed work for this tiny space please.

Originally I wanted to assemble it the other way around flat against the back wall but there was not enough space so I had to put it this way instead. 

I was wondering if it’s possible for me to remove the piece of wood in the front of the bed ( the one about 1m of the ground) without affecting the stability/safety of the loft bed? 

Also how would it be possible to attach the ladder in a different spot such as the front? Is there any other way to further support the top if I was to remove that one piece of wood?

Thank you in advance 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I modify this loft bed to make it work?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @billiebillie. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The manufacturer seems to be happy with having one support side missing from the bottom there already. You could assume that if you placed a cross member on the side that is missing then you could remove the other side. I would fix a horizontal timber in the position marked red before removing the other timber.

You could reposition the horizontal member either higher or lower as highlighted in red below. To install the ladder in a different position a small piece of vertical timber will need to be bolted into the bed frame and attached to the horizontal safety rails. Once that is done you can simply cut the horizontals safety rails where the ladder will go. It will basically be mirroring what the manufacturer has done on the other side.

Let me also mention a couple of our very knowledgable members @Brad and @ProjetePete to see if they would like to add to the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions on the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects