Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Getting your kids into D.I.Y.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Getting your kids into D.I.Y.

KidsProject.png

Most of us would prefer if our kids were busy with a craft or gardening project instead of being glued to a television or computer screen. 

But how do you encourage your kids to get into D.I.Y. and build their skills, interest and confidence? 

Obviously the key is to make it fun. 

In the discussion below, please share your tips and strategies you've successfully used to get kids excited about making their own creations and growing their own plants. 

It would also be great to hear about projects that kids love to do.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Getting your kids into D.I.Y.

This looks fantastic for kids!

spraychalk.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope all the kids in the extended Workshop family enjoy a happy and safe school holidays. 

Let us know if you are getting into any fun D.I.Y. projects. 

Jason

That is one of the sweetest stories ever, and I can picture the many times you must have recalled that memory throughout your life. It's amazing how much pleasure/joy/peace/motivation/and identity a single memory can bring us, again and again.

I have similar moments with my dad, I was the little sister and my older brother was not interested but I was my dad's shadow and the feeling when I made him proud still bursts my heart now! We had a small property with a big garden and there was always things to do. The smell of his workshop is still the most comforting thing I know. There are still some tiny pieces of my dollhouse furniture that eluded permanent repair!  I'm lucky enough to be able to take the time to potter around with my own toddler son now and I hope he finds something similar that he loves about our life!

Thankyou for prompting these thoughts, I think I'll give my dad a ring!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ada. It's lovely to have you join us and wonderful to see you make your first post on the community.

It's funny how smell can also invoke such powerful memories. WD40 is it for my wife. Its smell conjures up all sorts of memories of her Pop and Father's workshops. Also, apparently buffing compound, as they spent many hours working on their cars together.

I was teaching my young daughter last night how to use a hot glue gun and the importance of fixing other people's things that you've broken, especially after you've been told multiple times to please not touch them and put them back where you got them. She was pretty proud of herself for doing the right thing and fixing the situation. Perhaps in 20 years, she'll look back fondly every time she hot glues something.

Many thanks for sharing such a personal story.

Mitchell

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

I started encouraging my daughter to design her own room when she was little and every 6 months she is redesigning using her creativity and min resources and many many small DIY projects. I created this design basics kit for kids. You can download it from my Pinterest if you like Interior design for kids

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Anyone got any tips for a 4 month old 😋? Right now his role is just chief giggler of the garden, but I'll be looking to get him more hands on in the near future. 

Remarka6le
Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Created this for the same reason for my kid - you can download if you like https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/812477589020010418/ 

I try to encourage my kids to live in a place they will feel happy and this means designing and pretty much-creating everything by themselves. Cocoplum kids' rooms showed my kids' creations. 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Awesome stuff, @Cocoplum, I'll look into it :smile: 

Remarka6le
Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

It worked for me, hopefully works for you too :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Remarka6le

I suggest several A4 canvases and at least 3 child-safe watercolour paints of your choice. Handprints and finger painting always work a treat. You can have instant museum-worthy abstract pieces on display at your home.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects