Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Getting your kids into D.I.Y.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Getting your kids into D.I.Y.

KidsProject.png

Most of us would prefer if our kids were busy with a craft or gardening project instead of being glued to a television or computer screen. 

But how do you encourage your kids to get into D.I.Y. and build their skills, interest and confidence? 

Obviously the key is to make it fun. 

In the discussion below, please share your tips and strategies you've successfully used to get kids excited about making their own creations and growing their own plants. 

It would also be great to hear about projects that kids love to do.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Getting your kids into D.I.Y.

I find kids absolutely love planting seeds and watching them grow. Succulents are also great. You can also buy little terracotta pots really cheaply and get the kids to decorate and/or paint them.

pots1.jpgpots2.jpgpots3.jpg

Mick
Cultivating a Following

I reckon a good old fashioned cubby house is a brilliant project to get the kids into D.I.Y. Get them involved right from the start, creating plans and salvaging materials, then introduce them to the tools. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

A billy cart is another classic project...

timjeffries
Making a Splash

My boys love the garden, especially my oldest son Tuscan. I can't pull my boots on without offers of help. :smile: I think the key was getting them involved really young. Letting them play in the dirt as I worked while they were babies. Getting them picking fruit for themselves. Planting seeds with them and watching them grow. Letting them water the garden despite the significant waste that inevitably occurs.

Here's the proof. :wink:

I find that if you can relate the DIY project to stuff they like, then you'll have no problems in getting them involved.

At the moment I've got my boys interested in building skate ramps and stuff.  They love going to the skate park and this is something they can do related to that when they're home that keeps them off the electronics.

I've got them currently researching on YouTube how to make skate boards themselves.  Might have a go at making a long board.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm a classic case of a kid being allowed to have a go, & although it was 60 years ago, it's still a fond memory.
As a bit of background, I was a born gentleman, I let my twin sitter have first dibs & as a consequence, I was tiny. I mean, tiiiiiny.
I loved being the littlie, it gave the extra urge (though I was never pushy) to do stuff like the big people.
Dad was going to paint our kitchen cupboard doors, he'd laid them out on the back lawn, & my big brother was the designated helper. I was only 6, so wasn't asked to give a hand. I was dying to have a go, & it became clear that my big brother was doing it under sufferance. Dad saw that I was busting to have a go, so he found a little paint brush, & let try the inside of a door. I still remember the smile on his face when he saw what I'd done, he gave me the bigger paint brush that my brother had left behind, & I was allowed to paint the front of the doors with my hero Dad. : )
Lesson to all, some kids won't be interested, so don't force it, but let the one that wants to have a go, have a go, it could become a wonderful memory for you both.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

School holidays start tomorrow for many kids. Have you got any D.I.Y. projects planned with your kids?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CathD
Making a Splash

I really like this Lego table.

Lego Table.png

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

This is a good one with the grand final weekend coming up.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects