Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Get acacia wood black

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Get acacia wood black

I purchased an acacia wood top table and I want to get the top to match the arms of the wishbone chair featured in the 2nd image. How do I get that result? Can I just paint the top black or I need to get the top sanded and then stained? The arms are the richest black with a matt finish.  

Acacia top tableAcacia top tableChairChair

JustJim
Having an Impact

Re: Get acacia wood black

Lordy lord, why!?!

Why would you want to remove the contrast, the different colouration and shading of the original, real wood and replace it with something that resembles painted metal?

Anyway, the Google search you're probably looking for is "ebonising wood". 

Good luck.

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Thanks Jim! The contrast is exactly what I want to get rid of. It's the shape of the table which I like. I was told I could easily paint it, hence why I want to know how to do it the right way. 

Japan Black - Takes 3 coats for a near black experience depending on the base timber. You can stop at 1 or 2 coats depending on how dark you like it to be and then use clear to make it 3 coats. Comes in gloss or satin finish.

Black Indian Ink - Will be a matt black finish that will need a clear coat/s over the top.

Heat Gun - Not tried it yet and I think it would be hard to get even coverage where you have to blend in large areas.

Epoxy - Black dye added, I think there may be some transparency issues.

My choice given Linda likes black but not too much black is 2 coat Japan Black with 1 coat of clear. I have done black spray on the letterbox numbers but with a coat of clear on it still after time has faded some of the black out.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Former Workshop member,

Hope all is well. Just wondering whether you have made any progress with your table project? It was great to see you get some feedback from the community, I trust it was useful.

Let me also extend an overdue but very warm welcome to the community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your home improvement projects and plans. Please contact me anytime you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi Jason,
Thanks for your message. Unfortunately I didn't end up going through with it because the table colour ended up being completely different when it was delivered. That colour was actually closer to what I wanted with my dining table chairs so I just let it. I had even purchased the materials from Bunnings to do the table and ended up returning it all.

No worries @Former Workshop member. I'm sure the advice given by @Brad and @JustJim will still be useful for others down the track who might want to do something similar.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects