Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floating desk - brick wall install

ProjectPete
Valued Contributor

Floating desk - brick wall install

I recently installed the below floating desk for a customer of mine so I thought I'd share the process at a high level and the end result which we're all pretty happy with 

First challenge - it's a 2880mm desk so it was important to get the right brackets and support in place. 

I got my kitchen guy to cut a length of laminate to size and I got to work on cutting channels in the underside of the desk to hide the brackets. Of course my sister hadn't returned my router and given she lives an hour away, I got to work with a chisel and a multitool. Bit of extra elbow grease required and not as clean finish as a router, but it did the job well enough.

20181009_092639.jpg 20181009_091303.jpg

Next it was time to measure up the walls of the study to install the angle brackets including cutting channels into the plaster on a brick wall to conceal the two large supporting brackets.

20181009_113706.jpg

To finish it all off I pop the desk on top, screw it to the brackets, plaster/sand/paint over the wall channels and finish the edges on top with white silicone. Unfortunately don't have a photo of the desk set up yet but will do soon. 

20181014_084541.jpg 20181021_115729.jpg Screenshot_20181106-153122_Instagram.jpg

Hope you like it 

Kermit
Valued Contributor

Re: Floating desk - brick wall install

Looks like a very professional finish as always @ProjectPete. Well done.

redracer01
Established Contributor

Re: Floating desk - brick wall install

Flawless work as always @ProjectPete!

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects