Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First Home - What should I be purchasing for when I move in

maknilsin
Making a Splash

First Home - What should I be purchasing for when I move in

As the title suggest I am currently building my first home (for more info visit my post regarding the joys of building), that process is exciting in of itself but as I near closer to completition the reality of the move is settling in. As such I've started wondering what exactly it is that I need to start purchasing so that I am good to go once I move in?

I've got the basics down pat like a living room set and a dining set but it would be great to hear from everyone in Workshop to get your advice and ideas.

Re: First Home - What should I be purchasing for when I move in

@Andy_Mann, if you lived your life with that attitude you'd never have anything new. Are you still driving around in a T-model Ford and making calls via telegram? You need to move with the times, brother.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

All good @Jackson, I'll wear that any day of the week, & I hold no ill will, but I've seen people ride the wave of good times, then been kicked in the head while they're down, when things go pear shaped.  I knew full well when I posted that it'd be offensive to people who've only known modern ideals, but I stand by what I wrote.

My favourite cousin had a top job in a big corporation, & was planning to buy 5 investment houses to bolster his retirement plans. He rocked up early to work as he always did, & saw his mate tidying up his desk. He'd arrived to a "Pack your things, you don't work here anymore" email in his InBox. My cousin tried to console him, then went to his desk, & he'd been mailed, "Pack your things, you don't work here anymore". Solid, hard working, top bloke, had his world turned upside down with a single email. Lucky he hadn't commited to his property investment, or he would've lost everything.

Life isn't always fair, it favours noone.

I wouldn't swap my life with anyone, but I do regret passing on that revolutionary, all black Model T. :wink:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@maknilsin @Jackson, I'll tone down the "cruel to be kind" sentiment that I projected yesterday, I haven't given up on you guys.

Want & need can be very different things, budget planning & timing is crucial. Have I been 65 all my life, Hell no, I've done some majorly stupid stuff.

I had a job for life (anyone remember those days?), & In my late 30s, was doing shiftwork, & pulling in big money for someone of a tradie background. Before that, my wife pulled out of her fulltime job on my insistence, because she had to do the work of others who'd left, was being pushed beyond the limit, & it just wasn't worth it.

Later, in the goodness of her heart, she volunteered to help out at a friend of our's business. Things were sweet, until they started paying her, her earnings instantly vapourised, our credit card was soon put in the red, & for the first time, we were skint & faultered on a bill.

I say I was spew'n mad would be an understatement, but luckily a friend recommended we set up a budget account with our credit union. Best thing ever.

However, the rot continued, so in a moment of sheer frustration, I said, write down all the things that you want, & I'll do the same. It came to a sizable sum of money, but I took out a loan to cover it, at a high interest rate, with a let's learn from this mindset. Not long later, she threw in her money spinner, & it was left to me to make it work. Being the hard case that I am, I set the standard that if you can't step to meet the obligations, we're do'n it my way.

It was a struggle, but it's been good for both of us, we tightened our belts, paid off the loan in good time, & we still appreciate the spoils of our stupidity.

The big difference between our situation & the "I want it now" generation, is that our home was close to being paid off, when we messed up.

While I'm fess'n up, our loungeroom TV which we purchased after paying of our loanfest, was a superseded model, but brand new, & we saved $3000 dollars on our  Samsung Series 9 rush of blood.

If anyone's still interested, I'll post, not what to buy, but how to go about it. :wink:

I agree with you Andy_Mann .. posted it before I actually read the question properly! However, somebody might like my idea/comment. those plants have given me many many years of pure enjoyment and I love seeing them flourish. Good for the soul and heart. It is a living breathing thing.

Reply ....Re: First Home - What should I be purchasing for when I move in

Like what you have written and totally agree with your statements .. want and need are two entirely different things.

In my day .. we had no credit cards and we paid for what we needed.  Want was on "lay by".  

Now, the younger generation, wants everything .. and so get themselves into "hock" and trouble.

I am about you and your wife's generation and do unerstand what you may have gone through .. we all have our stories.

Life is one big adventure!!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Reply ....Re: First Home - What should I be purchasing for when I move in

@BibbyKat, we're on the same page, & I do remember the "lay by" (the youngs of today would know it as a down payment) days, it was something that I didn't do, but I remember it.

I recently saw a current affairs type show, & it was delving into/exposing the  shenanigans/scams being played by banks & the finance industry. It mentioned that loans were being offered to anybody, & for any amount, but there was a catch, you had to agree to a credit card, with a huge credit allowance. They aren't being cuddling nice, they know that sooner or later, the sucker customer will take a nibble, then another etc, & with patience, the credit maxes out & the customer defaults on payments. Then the clauses (pun) come out, & they repossess possessions to cover defaulted payments, that $4K 4K tele is $1,000 (if you're lucky) to them & it's non-negotiable. Continue the nonsense, & soon your flashy car gets the call up, but wait wait wait, I need that car to get to work. Your next relief plan comes from off-loading the ego carriage, & snagging a cheap runabout.

I don't think that I need to talk you through the whole depressive saga, so here's the crunch, people are losing everything.

I don't blame the youngs, their clueless parents've set them up for failure.

True story. I had new Dad workmates say that they were going to give their kids everything, because they did without in their childhood. Yeh, we really did it tough, we only had drinkable water, food on our plates, & Birthdays & Christmas was the only time you got something, barring the tooth fairy. Oh yeh, I cry myself to sleep every night, thinking how deprived I was as a child. *rolls eyes

Kids are smart now, they know that if they throw a tantrum in a supermarket, Mummy gives them something to shut 'em up. Yep, way to go, reward a pest.

Again, I realise that this post isn't going to go down well, but I'm laying it out, the way it is. Learn from it, or lose out.

Rant done, but if anyone's got their nose out of joint from it, too bad, I will post a "before the damage is done" post, on facing the future to help others. :wink:

Children "test" parents .. if they get away with bad behaviour .. the standard it set!

Parents who give their kids everything, because they did without in their childhood, think they are doing the right thing.  children then think it is their "right".  

No it is not.  

However, I feel that what is earned/worked for is mmuch more appreciated and looked after.  

Self respect is so lacking these days

Thanks for all the comments so far. Who knew mentioning a TV purchase would cause such robust debates.

But looking back at the original post does anyone else have any suggestions for me? Everyone's ideas are more than welcome!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

OK @maknilsin, I have your back, & I will deliver as promised.

I'm making a solid guess that you're still single, & don't have a young lady waiting patiently for you to pop the question, otherwise you wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place, as they're genetically programmed to have that sorta stuff sorted out already.

Other than an empty house, a lounge suite. dining suite & an overspend on a soon to be superceded TV, I'm not sure what else you already have.

BUT

My advice is to think deep on the basics, the stuff you'll need everyday, the stuff you'll want, the stuff that'd be nice, & the that'd blow my mind stuff.

Then go to every physical retail outlet within reason, touch & feel everything that takes your interest at different price levels, jot them all down, their price, your preference & thoughts on quality/worth.

Take the list home, & add up the total cost of your wishlist preferred options. If you can cover that, then you're home & hosed, but that's extremely unlikely, otherwise you wouldn't have asked for help.

If you don't get the answer that you want, then choose what you then feel isn't absolutely necessary, & strike it off of the list. Gone, no discussion, then redo the process until you have a workable plan, one that doesn't seduce/commit you to the seemingly favourable loan offers.

Do that intelligently, & you will be debt-free a decade at least, before the compulsive buyer.

I hope this helps, & I have your best interests at heart, but it's up to you.

To me, a rethink is > a no think. :wink:

Great work @maknilsin. That TV looks brilliant. A really comfy couch would probably be next on my list. Can double as a bed if the budget is under stress!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects