Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you love antique furniture?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Do you love antique furniture?

Apparently the antique market is dying because people today don't appreciate antiques and they don't fit into modern homes, particularly apartments. 

Do you love antique furniture? Do you have any antiques in your house? Is mid-century the new antique?

https://www.domain.com.au/news/when-oldies-aren8217t-goodies-did-ikea-kill-the-antiques-industry-201...

Annette
Making a Splash

Re: Do you love antique furniture?

@RenoQueen

I have long had a love affair with antiques and have many pieces of antique items in and around my home. I have sourced them from antique stores, eBay, garage sales, Gumtree, kerbside pick-ups etc.

IMG_2744.JPG

On one occasion I actually did some "picking" similar to "American Pickers" when I saw this cast iron table and chairs at a rural petrol station. 

I love antiques because they don't end up on the tip within 5 years mainly because they are beautiful, well made and don't "date". Even if I chose to sell any of my antiques I would most likely get my money back which is something you can't say for Ikea furniture or anything made of chipboard or melamine.

Antiques are the ultimate form of recycling.

The first 5 pieces of furniture shown below are the eBay pictures when I first bought them.

2.jpg 7.jpg

Mahogany bankers bookcase (c1910)

Dining Table and Chairs.jpg

Mahogany dining table with 6 chairs (c1900)

7.jpg10.jpg20.jpg26.jpg

Oak drawer filing cabinet with sliding tambour front (c1930)

254311985_o.jpg 254312088_o.jpg 254312117_o.jpg

My favourite piece - what was once an ash cabinet from a haberdashery store (c1890) which would have displayed laces, gloves, etc. - the glass windows lift up and slide in above each opening. The drawers have the tiniest dove-tailing I have ever seen. I now store and display all my white Maxwell Williams crockery, serving & casserole dishes etc.

5.jpg 11.jpg

Mahogany Sideboard (c1900)

Secretaire-Bookcase.JPG

Mahogany secretaire / bookcase (c1900)

Dresser.JPG

Art Deco oak kitchen cupboard (c1930)

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What a beautiful collection @Annette. You have some wonderful pieces. I particularly love that deco cupboard. Many thanks for sharing the photos. 

If my Art Deco cupboard ever goes missing @Isobel, I'll know where to start looking :wink:

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

There is an age unknown curved glass cabinet, I have no love for it or it's contents.
Shed has a toolbox and cupboard that I think is mahogany, I know I am at least the 3rd owner age unknown, singer sowing cabinet also unknown vintage, corner wall cabinet from 1955 that is better than it's replacement and some 1940's vintage slotted angle shelving ... yuck.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not sure it classifies as an "antique", but one of my favourite pieces of furniture at home is an old radiogram that we inherited from my wife's great aunt. It is immaculate, it was obviously looked after so well. It really seems like it's still brand new. It even has the original purchase receipt inside it. 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
2Belindas
Making a Splash

Yes!! @RenoQueen you are a woman of my own heart lol.  I love antiques and even better, ones that are tired and look amazing when they are painted up and given a new lease on life.  Some of my favourite pieces have come from the throw out piles of neighbours.  

I have one cupboard that was revamped 'folk art' style in 1991, then rustic bali style in 2001, then painted white Hamptons style in 2011 - every 10 years I revamped that cupboard.  It cost me nothing in the first place!

Antiques and bespoke furniture pieces add warmth and 'family' to a home.

Creating a beautiful home on a budget
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's a shot of our radiogram.

Radiogram.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects