Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you have a "junk" room?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a "junk" room?

Our backyard games room project is nearing lock-up stage, which means we have had to pick up all the bathroom fittings, tiles, vanity, lights and door furniture so we've got them ready to install.

We currently have items all around the house, because our usual go-to room for temporary storage (our study) is already full. 

It's always handy having a spare room or some garage space to temporarily house things and keep your living rooms and bedrooms from clutter. Some people will even now pay you to store their stuff. The trouble is, these spaces often become a permanent mess. 

Do you have a "junk" room at your house? What is typically in it? How often do you try to clean it out?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Do you have a "junk" room?

We built a storage room under the house. But you do tend to accumulate too much stuff when you really should donate to the Salvos instead or just throw it out. 

If you haven't used something for six months, throw it out!

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Stuff tends to accumulate in the garage very easily. Bikes take up a lot of room, as does camping gear. Then there's items like car roof racks, bike carriers, storage pods. I like the approach by @boris with his built-in garage shelving. I must do something similiar. Cupboards would also be good to hide the mess. 

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

We have a junk room at our house. It's used for my partner's things that he "needs". I am a keen 'if you don't use it, throw it out' person, however he is not. He likes to keep everything in case we might need it someday, worn out tennis rackets, old camping equipment etc.

I try to clean out our junk room at least every six months. It is a true victory when I can throw things away. 

In saying this, some of the items in our junk room have come in handy sometimes. I wouldn't mind keeping them, if we had room to store them properly. 

I guess it is all about storage space. If all the "junk" is stored away neatly and in an organised fashion, is it essentially still a junk room?

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

I can't stand junk and reguarly donate/sell unwanted items. It's better to donate items while they are still useful to someone else vs hanging onto them until they end up as landfill.

My in-laws are currently going through the process of clearing out junk from their 5 bedroom home which also features THREE sheds full of stuff so they can eventually downsize. It's an absolute nightmare! 

They still own my husband's childhood bike if anyone needs one (it's only 25 years old)..

aly
Making a Splash

I'm a complete minimalist so the less I have the better! My partner on the other hand is the absolute opposite. Our spare bedroom is jam packed with snowboards, fishing rods, music equipment, camping gear and everything else. I guess it's a bit of a man cave when I put it like that....

Dan
Cultivating a Following

Sure do!

Am in the process of selling everything I don't need too. It is great to be able to shut the door so no one can see the mess!

aussiblue
Having an Impact

Yes; I sure do and there is a lot of junk taking up space in my shed too.  I haven't quite got over giving away an Apple I about 25 years ago; last time I looked they were fectching around US $1 million.  I was given to me by a friend who was working in the middle east and I am not sure he is conviced I gave it away either. So my shed is a now graveyard of Microbee computers and similar old IT stuff.

I am also in mourning for "Mr K-Tel" who passed away last week (see http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/business/media/philip-kives-k-tel-pitchman-who-perfected-as-seen-o... and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlaGYrKk0g ) . Phil Kives actually spent a few months in Australia in the late 60's but despite that, and his products being ever present on our TV screens,  he death seems to have passed unnoticed here. I am sure that, like me,  a few of us would have a few K-Tel products stuffed away in the bottom of the kitchen drawer or at least in our old vinyl record collections.

BTW K-Tel still exists at least in Canada and you can see all there old ads and products here: http://www.ktel.com/classics.php

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects