Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Floating shelves, desk and loft bed

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

DIY Floating shelves, desk and loft bed

I recently built loft beds using my daughters exciting bed frames. Finally have finished one bedroom adding floating shelves and a desk using left over fence pickets. To add some industrial feel given her bed was all black I spray painted aluminium black for the ends and used the black top from her original desk. I added a shelf for her pens etc and decorated them with positive and inspirational quotes. 

She absolutely loves her room and is able to have her sanctuary. Whether it’s for homework, reading or some playtime. 

.55467196-F5C7-469C-A78D-FDD80966393B.jpeg77F75F62-3755-41E8-82B3-48DDBCDE0B3D.jpegCF3B0F0F-4D87-4459-93D8-8102FBBB4A86.jpegC06BED32-C9F3-42BD-B4DB-58562FB81E77.jpeg14DA3F4A-0384-41FE-BFBF-702D4711BF8E.jpeg36E830EE-7AC2-4D53-A89A-711D42A7CB74.jpegFC394F86-2BDA-4C6C-8372-77E006106236.jpeg708CC481-3897-4D4B-94AC-1CEF4DCE13F0.jpeg

Walter

Re: DIY Floating shelves, desk and loft bed

@Tara86   That looks great!

You've inspired me- all my kids have grown up and moved out, but I'm loving the look you achieved. 

I'm going to try the same sort of material and look for my floating shelves and  a "new" Sofa in my "men's shed"

rovergunn
Cultivating a Following

Love it I make lots of things from old pallets Garden seats and tables Garden work stations. Soon going to have a go at planter boxes and free standing gardens.

I joined this forum just to tell you how much I love the ends you made for the desk! They look amazing!
I'm in the middle of doing my son's room and was browsing for ideas. Thanks for posting.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @CodeFox. Great to see you were inspired by @Tara86's amazing work. Have you read her story here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/How-to-build-your-D-I-Y-confidence/ba-p/28362

If you click on Tara's username you'll also see other projects she has shared. 

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with your son's bedroom. Perhaps you might like to start a new discussion and share some photos and some detail about your plans? We have loads of helpful members sharing great advice and inspiration every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@CodeFox  Wow thank you so much, I really appreciate hearing that! 

It was really easy to do. The wood I used for the table was the Cypress Picket fence from Bunnings. Had left overs as it was used for another project but ended up building something else. If you have any questions about it please let me know! Good luck with your sons room!

cheers Tara

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

I just love the floating shelves @Tara86  this is something I want to have a go at after I complete my kitchen & bathroom up dates first.  Need to wait so I know what scraps I have left over so I can build shelves in both rooms before I make plans for elsewhere.

Oh and what a great idea to make the end plate for the desk  and on an angle.  Looks great.

Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects