Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Custom desk advice

azragarn
Finding My Feet

Custom desk advice

Plan.png

Hi all

I am currently about to under go a project to build a custom computer desk. The Timber i have chosen is Jarrah using 38mmx200mm for top and 25mmx200mm for walls and under sections.

My hangups are as follows A) will using biscuit join be strong enough for the side walls (pannels running vertical to the ground) B) best join (while easy as i dont have the best skill) to use to connect the 38mm top the 25mm side walls.

I am trying to get as smooth a finish as i can. Any feedback / thoughts would be appreciated. I plan to start this project in about 1-2 weeks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Custom desk advise

Welcome to Workshop @azragarn. It's great to have you join us. I'm sure you will find plenty of helpful advice and inspiration here.  

Your proposed desk sounds like a fantastic project. We have many talented community members with plenty of experience in woodworking who I'm sure will be happy to assist, such as @Wayne, @AndrewJones, @darylhewston and @Brad

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Azragarn,
I would suggest Googling "Computer Desk plans DIY" and try to find something similar to what you had in mind.
Alternatively, you could draw a rough sketch of what you are contemplating then take a picture of that and post here, it is difficult to recommend a joint type from your description.
Wood Working with Wayne

desk.jpgThanks for the feedback, I do have a design i did via Sketchup that i have uploaded it above. Ill have a look at the google suggestion to.

azragarn
Finding My Feet

Here are 2 better images. There will be a 4mm back board on this

I am concerned with the strength of the join between desktop and side. I have been trying to figure out the best way of making it stable This is all solid wood, no MDF, i am trying to avoid using screws/nails through the top to keep the finish. I don’t have a lot of practical experience so advanced joints are out.Desk1.PNGDesk1.PNG

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@azragarn

Have a look at Cam Dowels and Locks.  Makes the desktop removable if you ever want to move it.

Cheers

Daryl

Thanks i had not thought of that and i do need it movable for the future

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

The joint you mention between the desktop and side would appear to be the weakest point. You could possible add a cleat (maybe 25mm square) or even a piece of steel or aluminium angle which could be screwed from the underside to both the top and side panel, perhaps recessed back from the front so as to not be immediately visible or also add a 50mm skirt to the underside of the front and back of the desk sitting area.
Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is the project going @azragarn?

It would be great to see some photos if you've got stuck into it.

I trust the advice you received from Workshop community members was valuable.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects