Workshop
Ask a question

Concrete table reno

Andadams
Having an Impact

Concrete table reno

I have finally finished my latest DIY project, which unfortunately took me over 6weeks from start to finish. But now that my table reno is completed, I’m pretty proud to share the outcome.

I bought a 4+ seater Freedom table and bench seat combo off Gumtree. It was the perfect shape/size that we needed, just didn’t match in with the other decor. It was a dark brown laminate, which had seen better days, chipped and scuffed from the previous owner.

I sanded back the laminate on the chairs and table to see what was underneath. It’s a pretty heavy unit so I was hoping it was something decent. The legs of both the table and chairs were a nice timber, the tops of the chairs and table were a thick chipboard. Which would still work well for what I needed.

I had done (what I thought) was a fair amount of research on concrete tables. I didn’t want to create a solid concrete slab just cover the existing table top. But the concrete was a bit of trial and error. First time it didn’t work, even after the back braking hours I spent smoothing, it just wouldn’t stick to the timber when dried. After extensive further research, I found the right cement to use and also a high grade clear/matte concrete sealer, and presto results! Process was time consuming and did end up costing more than expected, but hell of a lot cheaper than buying this new from a store. Now we can eat at our table again.

I lacquer the table legs in a nice natural stain and sprayed the chairs completely with a Black Satin for contrast.

Afterv3.jpg

Capture.PNG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: An Honest DIY Concrete Table

Many thanks for sharing @Andadams. I'm sure many Workshop members will appreciate the time you have spent compiling this comprehensive post. Great work. 

I've merged the post to join the previous discussion so it's easier for everyone to find.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason, indeed, @Andadams's put a lot of effort into walking us through his project, the sign of a true champion.

If it were up to me, he should be on the podium, accepting the Gold. :smile:

She is more then happy to help :bigsmile:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Andadams Oooops, sorry about the gender slip up. :embarassed:

Anyways, it's great seeing our Workshopper ladies taking on home projects, & kicking our male butts. Nice work.

Great job @Andadams, many thanks for sharing this project.

katsmith
Growing in Experience

Re: Concrete Table Reno

@Andadams

I see its been a while since you first posted this. I'm interested in whether you sealed the concrete and whether there has been any issues with stains etc. How practical is it?

@katsmith

Thanks for the comment, I have so many more DIY projects to post but unfortunately haven't had time to digest photos and create articles. But I've been loving every minute of my concrete table! Not sure if you saw on page 1 in the comments I posted a full "How to" which goes into detail of the sealer and how to apply. I used something called Aqua Mix Gold, which is a heavy duty food safe sealer. I have still been paranoid about anyone spilling or putting things down on the table without a coaster, but I have been paranoid for nothing. The liquid spills still ball on the surface and can just be wiped off. I've had greasy mess also splatter on the table as you do, and also just wipes off. I still ensure that if a mess is made it isn't left long enough to make a difference and never wipe it off with water or general kitchen spray, always use a cement cleaner spray and dry cloth. I use another Aqua mix product called cement cleaner & resealer spray.

I have been slack with the maintenance, as I told myself I'd wipe the table down once a week with the Aqua mix spray, but probably only gets a good wipe down every couple weeks but still as strong and unmarked as the day I did it.

Let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Andadams,

Just wanted to let you know that this project has had lasting appeal on Workshop. It's now been viewed over 5000 times. Well done! 

I hope you can share some of your other projects with us soon. 

Thanks again,

Jason

ColR
Growing in Experience

Wow, Andadams, I was impressed at that post! You've got me thinking about our dining table. We were going to replace it with a much smaller one than the 6 seater (before extending) Parker from yesteryear, as there's normally just me and my partner about. Now, I am going to see if I can find something smaller on Gumtree and save some bucks. I'm retired so lots of time and my time is free.

Thanks for the inspiration.

cheers

Col
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ColR,

How did you go with replacing your dining table?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects