Workshop
Ask a question

Concrete table reno

Andadams
Having an Impact

Concrete table reno

I have finally finished my latest DIY project, which unfortunately took me over 6weeks from start to finish. But now that my table reno is completed, I’m pretty proud to share the outcome.

I bought a 4+ seater Freedom table and bench seat combo off Gumtree. It was the perfect shape/size that we needed, just didn’t match in with the other decor. It was a dark brown laminate, which had seen better days, chipped and scuffed from the previous owner.

I sanded back the laminate on the chairs and table to see what was underneath. It’s a pretty heavy unit so I was hoping it was something decent. The legs of both the table and chairs were a nice timber, the tops of the chairs and table were a thick chipboard. Which would still work well for what I needed.

I had done (what I thought) was a fair amount of research on concrete tables. I didn’t want to create a solid concrete slab just cover the existing table top. But the concrete was a bit of trial and error. First time it didn’t work, even after the back braking hours I spent smoothing, it just wouldn’t stick to the timber when dried. After extensive further research, I found the right cement to use and also a high grade clear/matte concrete sealer, and presto results! Process was time consuming and did end up costing more than expected, but hell of a lot cheaper than buying this new from a store. Now we can eat at our table again.

I lacquer the table legs in a nice natural stain and sprayed the chairs completely with a Black Satin for contrast.

Afterv3.jpg

Capture.PNG

ColR
Growing in Experience

Re: An Honest DIY Concrete Table

Hi Jason

Thanks for asking.

No progress on that job.

The kids have recently bought a run down country property near Kyogle. I have been kept busy on their ‘making the place liveable’ which is a higher priority than anything at home.

Been interesting repairing holes in slab timber walls, making window screens to fit weird 1940s vintage windows and sealing exposed asbestos! Good for the soul. Much improvement made. Much more remains. Next job - seal gaps in corners and between floorboards for winter. Thankfully we have Easter approaching.
Caron
Making a Splash

Thank you for your comprehensive post and have loved reading all the comments and feedback! Fantastic work.
I'm looking at doing this for my benchtops - have you had any issues with hot items being placed on the table?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Caron,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. I will tag @Andadams for you as it was a while ago that she shared this fantastic project with us. I know one of our other prolific posters @ProjectPete was also contemplating concrete benchtops a while ago, so he might also be able to share his thoughts.

Thanks also for joining the community. We're really pleased you could join us, and look forward to reading more about this project and many others to come in the future. We have many helpful, experienced and knowledgeable community members who I'm sure will be happy to give you a hand along the way, and provide some inspiration, too. 

Let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tag @Jason. Didnt end up going with concrete benchtops - went stone instead.

@Caron Unsure if hot items would be an issue but nothing a travet or tea towel cant easily fix.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hey @Caron, thanks for reading my post. My concrete table is still going strong, still very pleased. Re hot items, treat it like any other surface, alway use a trivet before I put any hot items down.

PDM
Getting Established

Re: Concrete Table Reno

Hi Jason,

@Andadams used the Ardex Feather Finish, would the Dunlop Ardit Feather Finish work just as well?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PDM,

Although both these products are manufactured by Ardex, carry a very similar name and have almost the exact same characteristics, they are not made from the same ingredients. Given this, I don't believe @Andadams will be able to answer your question unless they tried this product too. It looks like @Andadams went through some trial and error, so it might be a similar case if you wanted to try the Dunlop Ardit Feather Finish. My concern with the Dunlop Ardit Feather Finish is that it is predominantly Portland cement. In contrast, the Ardex version has several other elements that might have directly contributed to the success of this project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

cement.png

PDM
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell,

thanks for the reply, I will just fork out for the Ardex Feather Finish 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @PDM, and reach out if you need any assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

theparlourroom
Having an Impact

Re: Concrete table reno

I wish there was a way to “favourite” or save posts to have for reference later. This is a fantastic makeover, and I’ve been looking for a project to use feather finish on. Great that you got it to stick to chipboard. That opens up so many great project ideas …

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects