Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built-in TV unit

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Built-in TV unit

My living room is quite small so I try to save space however I can. I re-used an old TV unit my brother didn't want, pulled it apart and re-used some of the timber to make a smaller built-in unit. 2.6m long but only 30cm wide. Painted the same colour as the feature wall. The right side cupboard hides a spaghetti of electrical cables.

Built-in Finished.jpgBuilt-in02.jpgBuilt-in03.jpgBuilt-in04.jpg

Took a few weekends and using just simple butt joints glued and nailed. I'm a very happy DIY'er.

Cheers,

Stuart.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Built-In TV Unit

@Stuardo Fantastic project and a great way to reuse a old entertainment unit.

I'd imagine reusing the carcass saved you a decent amount of money compared to having to build it from scratch.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Very nicely done. Excellent clean finish. It looks as if you bought it! What kind of bechtop did you use on it?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

On closer inspection was surprised to see you even took the skirting board into consideration. Thats an excellent eye for detail!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Built-in TV unit

Great work @Stuardo. Many thanks for sharing. You should indeed be a very happy DIY'er!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellM  I see so many of the old entertainment units out on the footpath and I think it a pity they couldn't be repurposed, so I did. Took a bit of pulling out screws and nails and sanding and filling. Would have been easier to buy new timber but I guess I did save money.

Thanks @redracer01 the top is Hevea panel from Bunnings which has a very nice, light grain. I wanted to use the original timber and paint it white for the top but it had a crack down the center. 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Stuardo A hevea panel you say? Mind taking a closer shot of it, as I don't believe I've seen that one before?

@MitchellMHevea panel picture below. I do love the grain. It comes from the rubber tree, so I just learnt. Check it on Bunnings website too.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hevea Top.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects