Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beginner DIY monitor stand project

ria
Finding My Feet

Beginner DIY monitor stand project

Hi everyone,
I haven't made anything in a very very long time and wanted to start out with something easy but I'd like some advice on which wood and screws I'd use in this case to get me going.
I'd like to make a monitor stand that can hold my PS4 and laptop neatly, the meausrements will be customised but it'd basically look like this. Not interested in painting it or anything so a nice natural wood that looks great as it is would be awesome. :smile: :smile: :smile:
s-l1600.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Beginner DIY monitor stand project

That looks like a great little project @ria. I'm sure our community members will be able to help. We have many keen woodworkers, such as @LePallet, @woodalwaysworks, @She_Skills, @Wayne and @r23on, who might like to share their experience with you.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join us. I trust this will be the start of many projects to come as you get lots of helpful advice and inspiration from our members. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@riaSearch google mate

It's $20 online hth

r23on
Amassing an Audience

First of all I like working in Australian hard woods such as Tas oak or Mountain Ash. I do not like dressed pine as it marks too eays and as for sanding I go through too much sanding materials( however I have a solution for that I wash the sanding materils in simple green and rinse off, ready to use again)

as for screws I like to use dowels, gives a great affect. The dowels expand with the timber during changs in weather.

For drilling I use brad point drill (wood Drills) for two (2) reasion

1. Standard twist drill cause the timber to splinter out as it breaks through. Pine being a very tight grained tibmer splintering happens easly.

2. standard Twist drills follow the grain and never come out where you want and to top it off they clog up much quicker.

If I need a mechnical join the screw selection is based on the stregth need to hold it in place. (Mechnical strength or not)

Glue I am a great fan of tightbond because they have a good food safe glue and other glues with great properties.

Too finish a coat of poly wipe for a natural finish. Wipes on with a cloth)

But that's me 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience @r23on.

I'm sure @ria really appreciates the input.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ria,

Just wondering how you are going with this project?

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. It would also be great to see some shots of your project when you build it.

Thanks,

Jason

Vicki65
Cultivating a Following

I am writing down notes. Such valuable information.

Thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects