Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bed Frame materials HELP

yurbert
Finding My Feet

Bed Frame materials HELP

Looking for cheap materials to make a bed frame for a futon mattress. Was looking into timber and thought timber decking is super cheap, does anyone have any experience with using it to create furniture? Is it safe for indoor use and everyday contact? Any information would be helpful.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bed Frame materials HELP

Hi @yurbert,

Welcome to Workshop. You've come to the right place as our clever and creative members are always sharing ideas and inspiration. 

Let me tag @Poppop for you as he has shared many fantastic projects made from low-cost fence palings. 

@Yorky88 or @LePallet might also like to share their thoughts on using recycled pallet timber. 

And @Tara86 made a loft bed for her kids and might also have ideas for you.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tag @Jason . Hi @yurbert I'll add a photo of a reclining day bed I made a while ago out of Bunnings fence palings. I will add that the palings are treated with chemicals including very low levels of Arsenic to keep termites and borers away. But a quick coat of paint will seal it all off and they'll pose no danger at all. Good luck.

IMAG1667.jpg

IMAG1666.jpg

Thanks for the replies! 

Do you know if a couple coats of polyurethane varnish and wood stain would have the same sealing effects as paint @Poppop ? 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Couple of coats of poly will do the same thing as paint.

@yurbert  Yes. Varnish would do the same job.  They say you'd have to chew on the palings every day to absorb even the smallest amount of chemicals. But everyone likes to be on the safe side.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects