Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Air vents

Shane
Having an Impact

Air vents

Can I block up the vents in my old double brick house? I am not sure why they are there, but I imagine they are not good for losing heat and probably lead to dust.

Fyre
Cultivating a Following

Re: Air vents

Do you have an open fire place?.

Shane
Having an Impact

There is, but we don't use it. So you think the vents are only necessary for ventilation for when you have a fire?

Shane
Having an Impact

Here's an example from our bedroom...

IMG_1013.JPG

Dan
Cultivating a Following

I would recommend against blocking up those vents as it will lead to a build-up of moisture which then leads to mould. The property my friend rents has those types of vents painted over and sealed and she is constantly dealing with moisture and mould, it’s not pretty. An alternative solution is to maybe get something that can go over those vents that can still allow for ventilation but keep out dust and other particles.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Safer option might be to use these as they are removable if you have any dramas down the track.

1ac0e7ee-dbaf-473e-8f14-70f593943d5b.jpg

Fire or unflued gas or electric space heating that will deplete the oxygen in the air and send you permanently to sleep overnight.  They were replaced in modern house by slits in their aluminium window frames.

I completely agree with @Dan. I would be guessing that you have limestone footings which act as wicks drawing water up (especially if you are close to the water table). These vents are extremely important to allow the moisture to vent out of the cavities of your home preventing water damage and more importantly, mould. This is currently a major problem with a heritage building in Fremantle we are currently working on.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects