Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

change switch

wuxuan
Just Starting Out

change switch

40F209FB-6901-4ABE-A41B-56EC9AD57EEF.jpeg

My kettle fell accidentally, so I need to replace a new switch now, but I don't know where to find it.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: change switch

Hate to say it. But when water and electricity mix it is never a good outcome. I would question attempting to replace it and would suggest in this case buying a new kettle. Just my opinion. If you do replace it remember it is a 240v switch not a 12v switch the 2 are not the same.  JDE

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @wuxuan,

Welcome to Workshop. 

Great to see you receiving such excellent and prompt advice from @JDE. Please do not attempt to repair the kettle - put your safety first, dispose of the product and replace it with a new kettle. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Yes I agree with JDE...The switch is an integral part of the handle and difficult to replace if not impossible..

I'm afraid it's a new kettle..

r3365
Finding My Feet

Like everything I break, with full intentions of buying new ones. I pull it apart to see how it works, I'm sure it's just a rocker switch underneath. Check out jaycar. They'll probably have something there. But including the time taken to do all this, it could cost as much or more than getting a new kettle.

wuxuan
Just Starting Out

Thanks guys ,

I know a lot of people will say why not buy a new kettle, but I really like this purple kettle and I am a nostalgic and stubborn person,so it’s hard for me to throw it away.😔

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Here's a thought..If you're able to turn the switch on and off...mechanically speaking, then it might be something else internally like a broken element or disconnected wire..or just some dirt lodged onto the contacts..

It's pretty difficult to break a switch like that internally and the outside looks fine..

Try spraying the switch through any opening with some WD40 or the like using the small tube that comes with the spray can..

That might be all it is...

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

The bigger problem is @wuxuan  being able to access that small area in the handle.   You could spend that extra money buying the switch or even finding someone to repair it for you, only to take it home and that's not what the issue was in the first place.  Also the safety of yourself and others is more important.

Keep your eye out you maybe able to source anther purple jug just as nice.

This old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects