Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Very budget kitchen reno

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Very budget kitchen reno

We moved to our 40acre property just under two years ago. With all the things we need to do in the property, renos inside the house have taken a back seat. I have a very limited time and financial budget to improve the kitchen. 

The main issue is lack of workspace. 

My current plan is to remove the stud wall from behind the fridge and add a couple of units and counter top. I’d like to extend it out into the dining room area (which we don’t really use for anything at the moment).

As per @ProjectPete’s recent kitchen reno, we plan to paint the cupboard doors and replace the worktop with the timber panels from Bunnings. We’ll add a small table (similar to the photo below). 

Our biggest issue is where to put our giant fridge. The only place we can put it seems to be in the corner where the broom cupboard is. It’s not ideal as it will either block window or door, depending on orientation. Any ideas on how to make it not a complete eyesore would be great. Any ideas and suggestions for the rest would be much appreciated!

0496612F-9968-4ED4-8D36-83367697B5AE.jpeg

4AE0DBC2-57E6-4800-9945-702A1334020B.jpeg

Looking from the kitchen out.Looking from the kitchen out.

C0431F9B-B580-4F18-9E95-252E020CA549.jpeg

Basic mud map of the existing kitchen.Basic mud map of the existing kitchen.

I’d like to add a table similar to this to extend out into the dining area.I’d like to add a table similar to this to extend out into the dining area.

45DB25F1-2FF5-4815-A5B6-B7850C7BE1B1.jpeg

E6C9BA06-4ACA-4EFA-AA94-AC8F6FCCC453.jpeg

B6661653-383F-465F-849E-288C31D53860.jpeg

3F95A787-AE68-49E5-8DA8-5C37D86DB4A9.jpeg

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Re: Very budget kitchen reno

475A1C06-9FE4-4567-94F0-2E337580F29B.jpeg

 We are stuck at this stage at the moment. Before this house had solar (we are completely off grid) the owners had a gas fridge. They didn’t remove the gas pipe when they got rid of the fridge. It went through the wall of the pantry which I removed. I got a quote from a gas plumber to cap the line. Unfortunately, the position of the gas bottles outside is not compliant - too close to an opening and drain. This house is built like a fish bowl with doors and windows everywhere so to be compliant the gas bottles would need to be moved away from the house. This would add an unnecessary cost. 

Feel free to share a floorplan of your house @Ang_flange. Our helpful members might be able to suggest a position for the gas bottles that is a cheaper option for you. 

Many thanks for the update.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Once again @redracer01   you have pulled out all the tricks with this one.  You never cease to amaze me with your contributions to all the confused folk that come onto this site looking for inspiration and advice, such as myself. 

Wouldn't it be great to have an endless line of credit at Bunnings?  My absolutely fav store... Even my little dog get's excited when I tell her we're going for a drive, want to come to Bunnings and she starts spinning around in circles.

Keep up the great work, you @Jason  and all the other amazing folk that are only to happy to hand out suggestions and advice or let us learners pick you brains for inspiration, advice and opinions which is just invaluable to folk like myself.  So once again thank you.

Old Gal

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

We have progress! Stud wall is up, gas removed. Now to paint, get the power point installed and move the fridge into place. 

EAA31467-8D7A-4EFC-8EAF-C222D542D6F3.jpeg

Great to see the progress @Ang_flange. Many thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Jason

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

5120160F-2799-4A0E-AC39-605C79355DA6.jpeg

More progress. We’ve had the floor tiled and I’ve almost finished building the Ikea island bench.

Hello @Ang_flange 

Looking good! Cant wait for the big reveal when its all done!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

How close are you to the big reveal @Ang_flange?

Hope you are staying safe and well.

Please let us know if you need anything.

Jason

Any update you can share @Ang_flange?

Hope all is well.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects