Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Very budget kitchen reno

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Very budget kitchen reno

We moved to our 40acre property just under two years ago. With all the things we need to do in the property, renos inside the house have taken a back seat. I have a very limited time and financial budget to improve the kitchen. 

The main issue is lack of workspace. 

My current plan is to remove the stud wall from behind the fridge and add a couple of units and counter top. I’d like to extend it out into the dining room area (which we don’t really use for anything at the moment).

As per @ProjectPete’s recent kitchen reno, we plan to paint the cupboard doors and replace the worktop with the timber panels from Bunnings. We’ll add a small table (similar to the photo below). 

Our biggest issue is where to put our giant fridge. The only place we can put it seems to be in the corner where the broom cupboard is. It’s not ideal as it will either block window or door, depending on orientation. Any ideas on how to make it not a complete eyesore would be great. Any ideas and suggestions for the rest would be much appreciated!

0496612F-9968-4ED4-8D36-83367697B5AE.jpeg

4AE0DBC2-57E6-4800-9945-702A1334020B.jpeg

Looking from the kitchen out.Looking from the kitchen out.

C0431F9B-B580-4F18-9E95-252E020CA549.jpeg

Basic mud map of the existing kitchen.Basic mud map of the existing kitchen.

I’d like to add a table similar to this to extend out into the dining area.I’d like to add a table similar to this to extend out into the dining area.

45DB25F1-2FF5-4815-A5B6-B7850C7BE1B1.jpeg

E6C9BA06-4ACA-4EFA-AA94-AC8F6FCCC453.jpeg

B6661653-383F-465F-849E-288C31D53860.jpeg

3F95A787-AE68-49E5-8DA8-5C37D86DB4A9.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Very budget kitchen reno

Looks like a great project @Ang_flange.

Let me tag experienced renovator @2Belindas for you as she might have some helpful feedback for your kitchen reno. I'm sure other members will also be happy to help.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

@Ang_flange

Can you please take a photo of the dinning area and measurements as well in relation to the kitchen layout. Need to know if there are hallways or entrances that need to be considered to give you a comperhensive recommendation. Thanks.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Redracer01. I found the original house plans. I have uploaded a photo of these as well as photos of the area next to the kitchen. 

Break the piggy bank out! Get all the loose change stuck in the sofa and washing machine! Like all my suggestions please note that the measurements in the drawings are not accurate and the drawings are for reference or idea generation only. If I do infer measurements these are guesstimates and might not possibly work in the exisitng space, please adjust accordingly to suite said space.

1. The first picture is a suggested configuration for your island. I have inidcated there that the island is 1200 wide around 1430 in length this is achieved using 2 x 600 benchtops joined together water falls are butt joined. The cabinets underneath are standard flatpack cabinets. The lower breakfast bar is 900 wide and 1200 long but is only 700mm off the ground as most breakfast tables are but you may adjust the height to suite your needs. You will need a good builder to cut one of the 600 tops in half and biscuit join the half top with a full 600 top to achive that 900 wide look without breaking the bank.

2. I know the budget is tight and you don't have the time. Let me present it to you in another way. "You only renovate kitchens once".

Please look at the drawings and tell me what you think.

3. Lets explore the options.

a . Lets put the fridge near the door by the kitchen? You will need to move that teeny tiny pantry in the corner and shove that double door fridge into that spot. You will see the back of that fridge through that window everytime your outside. It will intrude into the sliding double door, it will be the first thing you see everytime you go through that door. Its a busy area, people pass through there all the time by the looks of it.

b. How about between the the windows across the kitchen? You will need to walk 2.5 meters everytime you need something from the fridge. The fridge is now officialy the center of attention as it is dead smack in the middle of two giant windows. 

c. How about we put it behind the pantry? This is the original plan where you just take the little fridge wall out. It might work, but is very inconvenient as now the fridge is outside the working area of the kitchen. Yep very convenient for the people sitting on the sofa as the cold drinks and cold snacks are just an arms length away from the TV.

My apologies for  being Mr. negative on moving the fridge. I feel that you deserve the best possible solution for your kitchen. If you still feel that you want a possible second lay out solution please send me a message here on workshop. I hope you enjoy the drawings! Oh and I'm hopeless at colours I'm sure the 2belindas and the others will make fantastic suggestions! Cheers!Possible island size.Possible island size.Wall addition and new pantry.Wall addition and new pantry.The suggested gap between your benchtop and the island is 1.2 meters both at the side and back.The suggested gap between your benchtop and the island is 1.2 meters both at the side and back.The view if your standing by your sink.The view if your standing by your sink.I would recommend stools with no back rest instead of chairs so that they hide under the table and not be in the way as you work in the kitchen.I would recommend stools with no back rest instead of chairs so that they hide under the table and not be in the way as you work in the kitchen.View comming in from the deck.View comming in from the deck.    

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I think @redracer01 is spot on. You are better off waiting until you can afford the necessary work required to change the configuration. Otherwise you will really regret it down the track. We all spend a lot of time in the kitchen so it needs to be practical and as visually appealing as possible. 

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Oh wow! That is amazing. I was so focused on keeping the pantry space that I didn't even see this option. Thank you @redracer01, that looks amazing. I think we could still do most of this ourselves so it wouldn't blow the budget too badly.

I'll run this past the hubster but I'm sure he'll love it to.

Let the planning begin...

Ang_flange
Cultivating a Following

Renovations have begun..

1E02A373-7FA6-4AF5-8F54-B1252F749E40.jpeg

Wow, what an exciting time for you @Ang_flange. I'm sure there will be many in the Workshop community that are like me and looking forward to seeing your renovation progress. I hope you can take some progress shots along the way. And please feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @Ang_flange any progress photos? Very keen to see where you are at.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects