Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Under sink cabinet doors

VanessaL
Growing in Experience

Under sink cabinet doors

F8D9BD2D-A08E-4E10-ADE0-AC9B8CBE9686.jpeg

Hi community, 

Looking to freshen up our kitchen and unfortunately it’s been in a semi renovated state for a while. With a baby we need to cover this area but the previous cabinet doors no longer fit (due to the farmers sink). What options would you suggest to cover up this area.    

4283FD04-9054-4235-837B-8829CE7535BE.jpeg

Many thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Under sink cabinet doors

Hi @VanessaL.

If you could include an image of the whole cabinet including the farmer's sink I trust our helpful community members will be able to come up with a solution. Depending on how far the sink protrudes out the front of the cabinet (I'm assuming that is the issue) could you add a timber moulding to accommodate for it? That way you could install another cabinet door.

I'm sure our fantastic community members will have some great solutions for the issue. Let me tag @Brad to see if he would like to start the conversation off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @VanessaL 

If you still have the original doors you may do the following. 

Quick and easy ( but will leave gaps to the left and right of the butler sink. )

- Keeping it simple measure from the bottom of the sink ( exposed edge ) to the bottom of the cabinet.

- Once you have the measurement put your two old doors together ( the ones that were originally there before the butler sink ) and a tape measure and a straight edge ( such as a ruler or a long straight piece of timber ) mark the back of the doors where you will need to cut them.

- Luck will play a factor in the next step. If your cut preserves the position on the hinges then you will not have to drill a new hole for the hinges. However if the cut is inside the hinge hole, then you will not have a choice but to drill a new position for the top hinges.

- Sand clear the cut edges of splinters and install the door.

Challenging method. ( no gaps at the side of the butler sink )

- Using a large piece of cardboard.

- Trace the out line of the protruding part of  the sink. You may cut it piece by piece and glue the cardboard together so that get a perfect out line of the sink.

- Once you have the perfect outline, put the two old doors back together and from the back of the old doors trace with a pencil the outline of the butler sink with your cardboard template. Make sure to center the outline or the doors will be uneven on installation.

- Once you have cut the doors, you will have to sand to fit the doors so that they open without catching on the sink.

Painting the doors is a day to day operation. If time is limited and you are operating between baby naps. I suggest 1 door a day in steps. ( I know I ask a lot! But so does your kitchen! )

- Take one door, do a thorough sanding.

- Wipe clear of sanding dust.

- Do 1 coat of paint on the door. Leave to dry in accordance with paint can instructions ( sometimes longer ) . Second coat to go on once paint is dry to touch.

- Important step - Let the paint harden overnight, do not install the door with the paint still soft to touch.

- Once the paint has toughened install the door, proceed to the next one.

- I suppose it's a nap to nap opportunity.

I make it sound so simple! Take your time, don't rush. Get the proper tools. Gather information about what you are about to do. There are more methods to do it. But these methods I mentioned are the ones that are the most straight forward. Our goal is to get it done in the shortest amount of time possible. Schedule the activity so that you have a starting date, this will help motivate you to do one part of your renovation everyday. Good luck and I look forward to the finished product!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I will assume a couple of things please tell me if I am wrong?

1. The sink takes up some of the space at the front stopping the doors from closing.

2. There is restricted access to the top door hinges and they look to be too high up as well.

The gap in the front can be filled in easy enough and you will end up with either a U shaped piece or 2 L shaped pieces. Silicone the gaps so it looks neat.

Two doors to cover up to the top of the added sink support and they would be full overlay hinges so the door will cover most of the cabinet frame. There will be a challenge to make the doors to match the drawers and bore the inside of the new doors to take the hinges, the packets include a paper template but I prefer using a jig. The hinges give some adjustments but it is a test of skill to get a good looking finish.

Flap door is another option and is common on TV cabinets, same problems matching up the drawers and the hinge system is much less forgiving in getting a good fit.

VanessaL
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, correct the sink is now protruding, I’ve added another photo to the post. That’s definitely worth considering. Can you order custom size kaboodle cabinet doors if that’s what it came to? 

VanessaL
Growing in Experience

@redracer01 

Hi Red, really appreciate the time you’ve taken and the great suggestions. I think what’s scared me about cutting the doors is not having the proper tools to do it, do you think you need a fancy saw to cut them?

VanessaL
Growing in Experience

Thanks Brad, your assumptions are correct. Definitely some good suggestions. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @VanessaL.

As there is no functional space left around the sink I would cut some laminated chipboard to fit the profile of the sink and screw it in place blocking off that area. You might be able to use your old doors by cutting them down and adding a laminate strip on the top cut edge. The hinge positions would then need to be changed to suit the new height of the doors.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Cutting doors to fit around the sink is in jigsaw or scroll saw territory, I own a jigsaw and I would want some practice first before taking on a job like that, not a skill that feels natural to me, your experience may be different than mine.

VanessaL
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects