Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Under mounted or flush mounted kitchen sink?

snichols
Building a Reputation

Under mounted or flush mounted kitchen sink?

I'm interested in everyone's preferences for kitchen sinks.

Do you prefer the look of undermounted or flushmounted sinks? And which are easier to maintain and keep clean?

Thanks,

Sarah

undermount.pngflush.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Under mounted or flush mounted kitchen sink?

I love the clean look of undermount but top Mount can be more suited to certain styles.

Cleaning wise I can't see either being any more beneficial except the fact the undermount has less area exposed so will be ever so slightly easier.

Are you planning a sink and benchtop update or just sink?
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

I have chosen an overmount black matt sink for my kitchen - I want a drip tray for pots & pans so it was the easier option. 

This is the one I chose: https://www.bunnings.com.au/blanco-double-bowl-naya-kitchen-sink_p5090328

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We went with under-mounted for the clean look when we did our reno almost 10 years ago. It's very easy to keep clean and we would certainly do it again.

We have stone so you do have to be a little careful when washing big posts that you don't chip the stone pulling them in or out, particularly on the corners. But we've certainly banged it plenty of times without incident - it still looks great. 

Our second sink almost permanently has a dish drainer in it which we find very convenient. 

Jason

sink.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Have you already purchased/installed this @KingStreetReno?

I was thinking black sinks for my replacements but worry about the scratches. Have you consdiered that (if you haven't yet bought) or Have you had problems with scratches (if you've already installed)?

I know stainless scratches too but worry the black will be more visible.

I just bought a nice matt black mixer and stainless sink for laundry but looking to reno the kitchen next.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi @ProjectPete, I spoke to the Blanco rep who said you can stratch it with a knife and it won't leave a mark. I haven't had it installed yet!

Their website states (warning: lots of trademark jargon!): BLANCO holds nine exclusive patents for SILGRANIT™ PuraDur™, which makes this material the only one of its kind in the world. SILGRANIT™ PuraDur™ consists of 80% granite, which makes it unbeatably resiliant, extremely durable, scratch resistant, heat resistant, unbreakable and acid resistant.  

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

I really like the exposed undermount sinks. I think they stand out and make a point of difference. Does anyone have one of these?

I would like to install one in our home when we finally do our kitchen renovation. 

undermountsink.jpg

Hi @kaylah_rose, my sister recently installed one of the undermounted exposed kitchen sinks in her place. To be honest, at first I really didn't like it. It's such a different look and really draws your eye to the sink. I have come around to it though and I believe they're becoming more and more popular. I guess it's something different!

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I haven't been a big fan of the farmhouse look but I do really like this one:

farmhouse.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects