Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber benchtops

katsmith
Growing in Experience

Timber benchtops

We are considering timber bench tops rather than stone to save money in our kitchen renovation. We like the look of timber but obviously some people have expressed concern about durability. What do you think? Would you use install timber benchtops? Thanks, Kat

bamboo.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Timber benchtops

Welcome to Workshop @katsmith. It's great to have you join the community. 

I know @Darren recently installed bamboo benchtops in his kitchen renovation. He might like to share his experiences so far. And I'm sure other community members will be keen to share their thoughts. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Darren
Making a Splash

Hey @katsmith, we installed bamboo benchtops (same as in your pic above) in our kitchen last year. We also love the look and warmth of timber but they do require a little upkeep - on installation we were told we need to oil them annually although this isn't a difficult process. Good luck with your decision!

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

This vid might give you an idea of how easy it is to DIY and what the finish looks like. There's also videos on how to cut a bamboo benchtop and how to install

aly
Making a Splash

Hey @katsmith I think the timber benchtop is a great look! I'd definitely investigate what's required in the upkeep as maintenance will be an ongoing cost. I'd assume it's still an affordable option compared to other benchtop materials however.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I love the timber benches but have concerns about durability also.

I'm also a big fan of concrete benchtops which I actually almost started work on but have gone back to wanting wood. So that project is on hold.

I like light coloured woods but they definitely need to be hardy.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
RenoQueen
Making a Splash

An alternative to timber benchtops is using timber detailing on the walls. This is from The Design Hunter on instagram:

Timber.png

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

When are you thinking of doing this?

I've decided to redo my laundry benchtop which is currently only about 1m wide with the sink in it but I'm going to make my own benchtop up than runs from wall to wall (about 3.5m) and put a new sink and mixer in.

I'll let you know how it all goes :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects