Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiling new splashback over existing one

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Tiling new splashback over existing one

G'day everyone,

I think I am OK to go but still would be happier if any general handymen or tilers could give me a 'yeah...sounds good' or 'no way mate, you need to do <whatever>'. For what it's worth 'handywomen' are welcome as well; I just assumed that was implied.

I have decided to retile the splash back of my kitchen. I have experience tiling with a mate for a few days and then doing the job to a number of previous houses; so the tools and skills I am OK with. However the substrate is the one that is a bit different so I want to check here.

Some of the area (see the picture) was tiled and some was painted. After some research I believe that tiling over paint is asking for trouble so I have stripped it back (with a 40 grit belt sander...very carthartic :smile: ) to mostly float coat/render coat (the grey stuff). I also was left with the impression that 'white set' was fine to tile over as well...as long as all surfaces are cleaned AND WATERED prior to starting the job. A few queries I would appreciate a word on:
1. i intend to do a 'skim coat' (proabably wrong thing to call it sorry) of tile glue with the flat side of my notched trowel - reasonably thin 3-5mm max - to make sure some of the divots of render that came out are filled and to give the wall a flat surface to then tile on. I did it this way with my mate and also have read that it is an OK approach...does anyone see any problem with that? Obvious reason is I have a big bag of tile adhesive and no other tiling jobs...so I may as well use it here.

2. The picture shows some existing tile glue that was part of the previous splashback (above the stove top). I have chipped off the pieces that were too proud to allow an even 'skim coat'; however should I take it all off (back to the render) or is it OK to put new tile glue over existing?

3. Do I need to prime this surface? This one has confused me as manufacturers (Davco etc.) say that all surfaces should all be primed...yet a forum I read said that if you are at the float coat/white set stage and you prime the surface it can react with the tile glue and become a gluggy mess resulting in your tiles sliding down the wall.

4. On the tile adhesive I bought UltraFlex from Funnings as I believe it was what I used before (it has been a while so I'm probably wrong); but the Davco website is telling me Mastic is what I should be using. Easy enough to change over if there is an appreciable difference.

My intended methodology is to clean the dust off of the wall, give it a wipe off, give it a light spray of water (as the render has been there 2.5-ish years it would suck all the water out of the tile adhesive otherwise), do the skim coat (of tile glue NOT render) to provide a flat surface, then proceed with double checking my set out and tiling like normal. Tiles are 300x100 with a 3mm spacing. 7 rows high across the rear wall and 600ish down the return walls. Actually I will include a CAD plan I did of the tiling...it is rough and includes the eventural rangehood and shelves that will follow on from the tiling so I hope it is not too confusing. I have put a level (I think I have a laser somewhere but I can't find it!) and a straight edge around all the walls and planned it all out...I am pretty comfortable with that; it is just the substrate that I am concerned about.

Any tips or suggestions from any ladies/gents here would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys,

The CaptainThis photo is taken from roughly the same viewpoint as the CAD drawing photo has beenThis photo is taken from roughly the same viewpoint as the CAD drawing photo has been

Closer look at the render and white set and tile glue sectionCloser look at the render and white set and tile glue sectionOnly included to show the finished concept (ignore the range hood and shelves above)Only included to show the finished concept (ignore the range hood and shelves above)

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: Final Check! Tiling New Splash Back Over Existing One

Champion...after looking at them it was a coin toss between UltraPrime and PrimeX but checking the data sheets now PrimeX is the winner...

Data sheets for both are below if it helps anyone....

https://www.parexdavco.com.au/media/2045/davco-primex-data-sheet.pdf

https://www.parexdavco.com.au/media/2065/davco-ultraprime-data-sheet.pdf

I have around 3 sqm...1 litre of PrimeX does 8-10 sqm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/davco-1l-primex-surface-primer_p6650245

Lunch time Bunnings run I think...cheers mate!

Josh

ps: Anyone around Mindarie (Perth, WA) who needs some PrimeX let me know :hysterical:

would it not be easier just to cut and replace the plasterboard in tiling area

Thanks for joining in the discussion @pureaussie. I'm sure @Former Workshop member (and others that come to this post in future) appreciate the suggestion. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading all about your own projects and plans. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

G'day @pureaussie 

If there was plasterboard there...then yeah...possibly(?). Not really sure! Kind of a moot point because it is a single brick wall with render, white set and paint (or tile) on it.

Cheers

Have to agree with above.  To have someone else to pick their brains as to what products work and don't work.  Advice and know the advice we are getting is from experience.  Good old fashioned hands on experience.  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects