Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Splashback or paint?

ellymac45
Just Starting Out

Splashback or paint?

Hi there. We bought our house in December 2018. The house we chose was chosen in a hurry.  I love the layout of the house.  New carpets and paint throughout but the kitchen in so monotone . the cupboards,  tiles floor are all basically cream/beige.  We have just put a nre hotplate and oven in. this makes the kitchen even more boring. I'ldike to put a stainless steel splash back or mirror splashback to cover the tiles.  I haven't got much of a budget so I was co sidering painting the existing tiles. I'ldike a steel colout paint. I  know i  wont be able to get paint that looks like glass . Im open for any suggestions or ideas thanks 

20190824_133551.jpg

20190824_133555.jpg

20190825_112929.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Splashback or paint?

Hi @ellymac45,

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're very pleased to have you join us and trust that our ever-helpful members will be able to assist with this project as well as many others to come in future. 

Have you seen the handy guide How to tile a splashback by @ProjectPete? Pete reckons replacing a splashback is one of the most cost-effective and simple methods to give your kitchen a makeover. 

You might also like to share a wider photo of your kitchen so we can see what you are working with. Members like @redracer01 then might be able to give you other suggestions about inexpensive ways to update the kitchen. 

If you're considering painting the tiles, the video How to Paint Tiles below should be helpful. 

We look forward to seeing how your project progresses. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Caron
Making a Splash

Hello Ellymac ... I have a limited budget and my kitchen is yellowish cream (Least favourite colour and a terrible DYI tiling job) . I’m at the beginning stages of renovating a small cottage so have looked at the posts others have put up about the paints - they don’t appear to last. I’ve considered going over the top of the tiles with beautiful patterned pressed metal, not sure if anyone has done this or how I would do it ( has anyone done this)? Otherwise will remove the tiles and retile properly, possibly subway or something similar.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi Ellymac,

If you prefer to have a stainless steel splashback..you might find this interesting..

https://www.tilestonepaver.com.au/epages/shop.sf/?Locale=en_AU&ObjectPath=/Shops/frankcorp/Products/...

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ellymac45 

This is a question I have been asked countless of times in the last 20+ years as a tiler and in our family tile Shop.

Paint would be the cheapest option, but personally it is a cheap alternative excspecially in a kitchen which will cop alot of wear and tear.

I did discuss on another post the option of tiling over the top of the existing ones if the are stuck fine.

Have a look at Bunnings and see what they offer or you can Google Dune tiles and they have a great range of unique looking tiles.

Personally I would stay away from real Stainless Steel. You will just be cleaning continually.

Also the other option is a glass splash back and you could also get a quote as a comparison.

The cheapest option and most longest lasting would be tiling it yourself.

There are plenty of members who would be happy to give you assistance all the way through.

Anyway all the best with your choice.

Kind regards Rob 👍

vicky479
Just Starting Out

Maybe you can use a handle wooden wire brush to clean the tiles

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects