Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovating a laminate kitchen

emmakroberts
Finding My Feet

Renovating a laminate kitchen

Hello!! 

We’re just at the beginning stages of renovating and don’t have the budget for a new kitchen. Im wondering if anyone can tell me if painted laminate bench tops hold up over time? 

Ive watched a few tutorials on how to do paint them, I would love feedback from someone who has done it before! Thank you!!4149B6C7-D526-458D-BCEC-CF5407DB8398.jpeg

Pink bench topsPink bench tops

Bathroom sink. Goodbye pink!Bathroom sink. Goodbye pink!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting over a laminate kitchen

Welcome to Workshop @emmakroberts.

What an exciting time for you as you plan your renovations. And it's a great time to join the community as we have plenty of experienced renovators who are happy to share their knowledge and experience. Please post whenever you need a hand, and it would be great if you could share some more photos as you go along. We are looking forward to seeing how your work progresses.

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful to you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Hi @emmakroberts. I assume you've seen this? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/paint/how-to-paint/how-to-paint-a-laminate-benchtop

Personally if you're wanting to stay in your property and looking for something that will last I'd explore painting the cabinetry but replacing the benchtops. Happy to be corrected by someone else who has done it but I think painting a benchtop is more of a short-term solution for a quick and easy update. Benchtops typically cop some rough treatment. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that I would think is going to be more durable. Have you had a look at the options? - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/kitchen/benchtops 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@emmakroberts,

I've tagged a few other members in other benchtop discussion that might have some input for you. 

You might also be interested in this - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Kitchen/What-would-you-do-with-this-kitchen/m-p/11286

Jason

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@emmakroberts
From the water damage that can be seen on the inside of the particleboard in the photos?
I would say its not worth relaminating
hth
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @emmakroberts,

I just saw this Instagram post and thought you might be interested - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl2ddyFB604/

Jason

Hi all,

We have a new video How to paint a kitchen benchtop

Hope you find it useful. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Renovating a laminate kitchen

I have to agree with MartyH on this one. Painting benchtops is not a longterm solution. Bunnings is currently offering $99 dollar benchtops at 2200 mm x 600 mm. 4 of those should be enough to replace the existing btops and the one in the bathroom. 2 coats of cabots clear and you should be good to go. Sand and paint the doors and it should put a new shine on that kitchen. 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Renovating a laminate kitchen

Hi @emmakroberts - Eek! I have one of those kitchens, in different colour :unhappy: I’m happy to give anything a crack, but painting those laminate bench tops is never going to be a long term solution. Firstly, they have 90 degree edges, so nothing’s going to flow nicely over them, and they will be a permanent wear point. So, a temporary measure only.

I totally understand the budget constraints. I would makeover the cabinets, they receive less wear and tear, so - prime, paint, new handles will work very well. If you measure the depth of the countertop, it’s most likely too narrow (front to back) to ever fit a modern cabinet underneath. Personally, I went through this analysis and I’m reluctantly ripping my entire kitchen out - I’m not a fan of throwing money into lost causes.

You could consider getting a MDF countertop made with rounded edges, which you could paint, use Rustoleum on, shouldn’t blow the budget, but give you a nice look for a few years, cheers Deb :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects