Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovating a VERY small 70s kitchen

FHBNewZealand20
Growing in Experience

Renovating a VERY small 70s kitchen

Hi community!

I'm a first home buyer and would love some advice. I have 0 knowledge on renovations and have been busily reading up over the past few months. It's proving hard to find what we want as i have not come across homes with a kitchen as small as ours. 

Budget 10 - 17k. 

Current ambitions: all the cabinetry needs to go. It's damp and old and a simple paint job isn't going to save her. She's bubbling all over the show (and stinks!). I'd like to remove the archway and wall (not low bearing) and extend the kitchen out to window frame (where the 1st red curtain falls - this will give an extra Meter max), adding in a bigger kitchen island. Photos taken pre-fridge. Fridge is now in kitchen. plan on selling this / having as an investment property in 5ish years so I want the material to be durable and low cost (shock). I'd like it to be functional in the sense that we can look out to the lounge whilst cooking. It's an awkward size and area - backs on to the laundry (pictured) and is the main area you walk into as you step into the house from the front door/ranch slider - essentially there is no back wall to add any extra kitchen. The only pantry is on the right hand side (out of the kitchen) built into the home.

20200426_214644.jpg

20200426_214701.jpg

20200426_214714.jpg

20200426_214731.jpg

  

20200426_214752.jpg

Would love some advice on what some experts would do or people who have done a reno similar. Even some photos of similar kitchens would be amazing! Images make it look bigger than it is. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Renovating a VERY small 70s kitchen

Welcome to the Workshop community @FHBNewZealand20. Congratulations on your first home and what an exciting time!

Was there a floorplan of your home which you could supply us with so our helpful members can make some detailed suggestions? Some basic measurements of the space would really aid in the discussion.

Also, what are you wanting to achieve out of the kitchen apart from removing the wall and a kitchen island? Would you like more storage space and cabinetry?  More benchtop space? Breakfast bar?

You might be interested in seeing what the @MakeItYours team achieved on a reasonably small budget renovating a kitchen and dining room of a small house

We look forward to seeing where the discussion leads.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @FHBNewZealand20 

Can I ask for current measurements of the area please. Perhaps a sketch on paper where everything is located and where exactly is that laundry located in, in relation to the kitchen. Thanks!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @FHBNewZealand20,

Just wanted to extend my own congratulations on your new home purchase. This must be such an exciting time for you!

Welcome to the community. As you can see, we have loads of helpful members here who are always more than willing to share their experience and knowledge, as well as their creativity! 

If you could share some dimensions and a floorplan it would really help members to provide specific advice to you. 

Looking forward to seeing what you can do to transform your new home (with a little bit of help from the Workshop community).

Welcome,

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @FHBNewZealand20 

Looking at your pictures I suspect that your current kitchen is not using standard cabinets and is not standard depth either. The cabinets and bench tops I've used for your plans are all kaboodle flat pack standard. Please double check the wall sizes as I've only eyeballed it based on the pictures you've attached. You'll notice that I placed shelves near the range hood instead of cabinets. This is to keep the feeling of size in the kitchen area and keeps the cost down. This is a 7 cabinet combo with a timber bench top. I hope you find the plans useful and it gives you inspiration for the possibilities. Simply bring these pictures to any Bunnings store and they will be able to quote you the cabinet price and bench top cost. Good luck on your DIY and stay safe! 

Cheers,

Red

FHBNewZealand201.jpgFHBNewZealand202.jpgFHBNewZealand203.jpgFHBNewZealand204.jpgFHBNewZealand205.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Great stuff as always Red.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the designs @FHBNewZealand20.

Jason

Wow, this is so helpful!!! Thank-you so much. Yes, you are correct - all our drawers/sink area etc are not standard size so would like to pull them all out an start again. 

I really like everything you have designed here. We will get into Bunnings Asap!! Very excited - and very impressed with your work here. 

What/where would you suggest we could add a dishwasher? Also, our pantry is awful. It's deep and not functional and can only be accessed from face on. 

Here are the specs and a rough drawing. 

Thank-you for your help. 

20200521_163726.jpg

Hello!

Great questions. 

Here is a rough drawing of the kitchen. 

I forgot to mention that we want to re do the entire flooring too! We currently have awful chip board flooring and would like to replace the entire kitchen and lounge's flooring with one of these 4 styles from Bunnings. 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/hanwood-2-64m-6mm-marina-sand-hybrid-rigid-vinyl-plank-with-2mm-eva-foam_... 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/euro-home-8mm-2-69m2-colorado-oak-laminate-flooring_p8902055

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/hanwood-2-64m-6mm-pearl-oak-hybrid-rigid-vinyl-plank-with-2mm-eva-foam_p0...

Floor plan drawing/measurement

20200521_163338.jpg

@redracer01 

Hi Red, 

Here is an updated sketch with the laundry position attached - ignore my terrible scale. 

20200521_164651.jpg

Please note we would also like to plan to re do the flooring in the kitchen and in the lounge simultaneously. 

As above/below, we currently have awful chip board flooring and would like to replace the entire kitchen and lounge's flooring with one of these styles from Bunnings. 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/hanwood-2-64m-6mm-marina-sand-hybrid-rigid-vinyl-plank-with-2mm-eva-foam_... 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/euro-home-8mm-2-69m2-colorado-oak-laminate-flooring_p8902055

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/hanwood-2-64m-6mm-pearl-oak-hybrid-rigid-vinyl-plank-with-2mm-eva-foam_p0...

Thank-you. 

Hello @FHBNewZealand20 

Below are the revised designs for your kitchen, laundry and pantry. I would probably go with the hybrid vinyl plank ( either color ). It saves on having to buy underlay as it already has it. The number one reason is that it is waterproof! The first drawing I sent you does not use the entire space. This next one does and I only added 2 cabinets to it, just to take up the extra space.

Fridge :

In order to make the plan work we are going to have to move the fridge to the other side near the ranch slider. If the inbuilt pantry door is there we will have to close that off and move the opening to the other side as shown in the drawing. I suggest removing the door in the middle of your kitchen it does nothing but make the space look smaller. As far as the laundry and pantry doors go I suggest turning them into timber louvered sliding doors. This facilitates easier access and allows air to circulate in these small areas. If you ever buy a dryer make sure to put an exhaust fan in the laundry to remove all the excess moisture it will generate. I hope these drawings help and inspire you to think of the possibilities. Good luck with your renovation and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

FHBNZ1full size1.jpgFHBNZ1full size2.jpgFHBNZ1full size3.jpgFHBNZ1full size4.jpgFHBNZ1full size5.jpgFHBpantry1.jpgFHBpantry2.jpgFHBpantry3.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects