Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovating A Small Chest Freezer

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Renovating A Small Chest Freezer

7661374A-2524-4202-A845-1E04950AEF3E.jpeg

Hi All,

I joined this group in hopes that I can learn from you knowledgeable people as I love a bit of DIY around the home but I don’t know a lot about what steps to follow to get perfect or near perfect results for my projects.

Recently I bought a small chest freezer which still works fine but the outside looks a bit worse for wear so my hope is that I can renovate the exterior and make the little freezer look good again. I purchased it to go in my partners Man Cave when that is completed in our house so I want to make the exterior look a bit rustic/pub like with possibly those vertical slate stones that you stick on and some wooden planks. I know nothing about freezers though, so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how I’d go about it without damaging its workability or making it unsafe (as I don’t want to cover it with wooden planks and then find its overheated and become a fire hazard). What would my best bet be? 

Thanks again, 

(I might try find images of what I want it to look close to) 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovating A Small Chest Freezer

Sounds like a fun project @LJ1809. Thanks for the inspo photo - it will really help other members to see what you want to achieve.

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiration every day, so I'm sure you'll fit in just fine!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Something like this would be cool. I would have thought you could do anything to the sides and front, just not the back.

FN1YMVCIC37EIQU.LARGE.jpg

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

109081B4-E028-4D5B-ABE3-DEEF85B08710.jpeg

Alright guys I’m making a start on Old Chesty this afternoon. I’m not sure how to post pictures of the progress yet but so far I’ve flipped it over and thoroughly cleaned the underside before attaching four sturdy yet discreet swivel castor wheels with breaks to it. I also had to put new screws in the motor paneling because it had become unattached during pick up and delivery. So the whole underside looks brand new 😁.

Now it is more easily manoeuvrable I can get into thoroughly cleaning the rest of the exterior before I go to Bunnings to choose the materials I want for the exteriors general look. Once I work out how to post pictures I’ll do a step by step in case anyone else is ever interested in doing something similar.

Thank you all so far for your helpful feedback and suggestions!

Coffen
Getting Established

Do not cover up the controls or vent if you want to  cover them with a little door with a frame around it with a mesh of sim sort over the vent so that it can vent heat. Another suggestion is to make the outer cover about 5 mm gap between cover and freezer held steady with son spacers the San size as the gap

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Thank you! I did wonder about the vent and covers.... I will make everything around it so they’re not covered. How do you suggest I attach the wood? Wood glue? 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think I would use some blocks on the sides so you can avoid having to deal with the hinges and you can slip the power cord underneath as well.
Spotlight have caning mesh which you could use on the vents, there are plenty of options you could use, I tend to overbuild so I would put some slats in to make louvers.
I would tend to go epoxy glue over wood glue when sticking to metal, double sided tape could work but the reformed welder in me has doubts it would be strong enough.
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @LJ1809 - looks like a fun project. You could use epoxy glue as @Brad suggested. The other possibility is something like liquid nails (if you have a caulking gun). Either way, I’d be standing the shine off the exterior so the glue has something to key to, cheers Deb

Coasty
Just Starting Out

Love the look of this. I have a fridge and freezer outside but they have front doors. Any ideas on how to make it work? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sure the community will have some suggestions for you @Coasty. Many thanks for joining in the discussion and a very warm welcome to Workshop. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand. We have loads of amazing members sharing helpful advice and inspiring creations every day.

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects