Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: How do you store your kitchen knives?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: How do you store your kitchen knives?

Choosing storage options for your kitchen knives is about more than just keeping tidy and organised. There are also safety aspects, plus the important consideration of keeping your expensive tools in sharp condition. 

The latest Workshop poll asks how you store your kitchen knives. 

Please add your vote to the poll on the front page and feel free to discuss further by replying to the conversation below.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Poll: How do you store your kitchen knives?

Our first knife set (Wusthof) came with a wooden block stand, & luckily there were still extra slots available. We later added 2 ceramic knives which were thin enough that 2 could comfortably occupy 1 slot (blade edges in opposite directions). A Furi East/West knife replaced the original 20cm Chef's knife, & shock horror, a larger Furi East/West knife, & huge Furi Chef's knife are place blade down next to each other in the front of a drawer, which actually works fine.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I've read a couple of times not to put your kitchen knives in the dishwasher. Anyone know why? We have a cutlery tray so I don't think it would affect them - they would not be getting blunted by hitting other cutlery like in a cutlery tray...

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel, I'd reckon that even in a cutlery tray, kitchen knives could still get jostled around a bit, & only be safe if they had their own slot, maybe.

When we had a dishwasher, the stainless steel kitchen knives got rust spots due to them having a higher carbon content steel (I think) to hold their edge. In the end, I didn't see any point in putting them in the dishwasher, when I'd already cleaned after using it, but that's just me being a clean kitchen freak. ; )

Just for fun, put a magnet to a spoon or fork, then see the difference when tested with a knife.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Most Workshop users protect their knives using the humble knife block, according to our recent poll.

The results are below. Feel free to continue the discussion about how best to store your knives and keep them sharp.

Jason

KnivesPoll.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects