Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New kitchen build

JessG
Getting Established

New kitchen build

 Hi everyone! 

My husband and I are about to settle on our new home for our family of 5 and are in the middle of planning the renovations with our draughtsman. We are not very handy and don’t have any experience with renos so would love any advice or tips that you can throw at us. I’ve read quite a few of the discussions and really enjoy the helpful ideas and friendly vibes on this site. I might make a few posts for different areas of the house but thought I’d start with the kitchen. 

It will be relocated during the renovation so we will be starting from scratch. I’m planning on doing a kaboodle kitchen.  I’ll attach the current working layout for the area of the house though we have not gone into detail at all about the layout of the kitchen. I’d love to have a rectangle walk in pantry on the side wall if it does not appear obtrusive when you enter from the living room. Do you think this would work?

It would be great to have some bench space in there either end to have appliance plugged in on. If a rectangle walk in pantry is too obtrusive into the room do you have any other suggestions for how I can include hidden away areas for my appliances to be plugged in? 

Another question I have is about where I should incorporate windows into the kitchen as the back wall is north facing? I’d love any suggestions or brainwaves anyone has when they look at my plan as I’ve never done this before and am feeling the weight of all of the decisions to be made though I am also excited about the opportunity. 

Thanks heaps!

jess

also, the length of the kitchen is about 4m and we live in Melbourne

335EEDEE-773C-4FD0-88DB-3EAA1C45BF9B.png

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: New kitchen build

How much floor space will that walk through take you say? Have a look and see if it will fit.

jessgwalksize.jpgfind out if it fits!find out if it fits!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JessG
Getting Established

Thank you so much! This is so helpful! I would not have thought of using the upper cabinets down low to create the bench tops. It’s such a good idea. Thanks for sharing your expertise with me. My kitchen is going to be amazing! I’ll get stuck into some measuring and chalk drawing. 

Shellbelle
Finding My Feet

Hi @JessG

Congrats on the new house and Reno’s! Exciting times!

You’ll get heaps of valuable advice here, but I’ve got 2 tips (mid reno and wish I’d known/done these things).

This may not be an issue for you, but we chose Grey Spice for our kaboodle kitchen colour. Apparently there’s a saying, the darker the colour the longer the wait! We’ll be waiting the full 6 weeks for our kitchen. Not a huge drama for us but something to consider in your time line. We’re also getting a Think Bench top, don’t forget to add the extra 4 weeks AFTER your kitchen is installed and measured, for the bench tops to go in. As novice renoers we assumed it would all go in together and hadn’t planned on 10 (it’ll be 14 weeks total) without 100% usable kitchen.   

If you’re like me and a visual person, I highly recommend laying your design footprint out to size in the space It’s going to be in, using newspaper.  I was seriously shocked when I saw how wide our bench was actually going to be, even though we had the 3D plans. It also gave me the chance to “walk through” how I use the kitchen and make a couple fo tweaks.

My last piece of advice is make sure you take your time and get it the way you want it and the way it’ll work for you.  And have fun!! Oh, and Uber eats are a life saver :smile: 

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Shellbelle. I'm sure Jess appreciates the feedback.

It would be great to see what you are doing with your renovation project and how you are putting your stamp on your home. Perhaps you could hit the Start a discussion button and share some photos? I'm sure you also have more reno tips you could share and other members would get some inspiration from what you have done. You will certainly get plenty of helpful advice and information in return. Our members are sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects