Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My 60’s kitchen needs a new look

New2this
Finding My Feet

My 60’s kitchen needs a new look

4585166F-7A88-4B34-A569-8A56ABFB77C3.jpeg

Hi

everyone - I am thinking of selling my house hence have started to plan renovation work esp. in the kitchen area. Just want to make cosmetic changes to give it a modern look. Not keen to spend a lot of money.

As a minimum -

1. Thinking of getting a new vinyl installed

2. Paint bench top or replace it?

3. Paint tiles

4. Replace cupboard door with new melamine ones.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions here. Cheers

Tony

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My 60’s kitchen needs a new look

Welcome to the Workshop community @New2this. Many thanks for your renovation question, I'd be happy to kick-off the discussion.

I believe what's key here is that the kitchen could do with a significant update which the new owner will likely do themselves. This will involve more than just a cosmetic over-hall but removal of items like the sink, benchtops and cabinetry. It is most likely that any of the cosmetic work you do will simply be to improve the look for sale, so you will want to make low-cost improvements which will make the kitchen appear more desirable.

With that being said, you might be interested in taking a look at the topic What would you do with this 70s kitchen where the Bunnings team performed a simple kitchen makeover.

I think you are certainly on the right track with the vinyl and painting the tiles. I would suggest also painting the doors and here's a helpful step-by-step article on How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets. The cost for new doors would be reasonably significant and careful thought would have to go into whether it would be worth-while. With the benchtops, once again a decision would need to be made as to the benefit of replacing them. The issue would be working around the outdated model of sink, which if replaced in the future would require the bench to be redone again.

If you are not keen on spending a lot of money, I would paint the benchtop, cupboard doors, the louvres doors and add vinyl flooring. You might also want to paint the exposed side of the bench and the glass cabinet above it.

I would be interested to hear what our other helpful member's ideas are for the kitchen, let me mention @2Belindas, @prettyliving, @redracer01 and @Brad to see if they might like to add to the discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc . Appreciate your prompt reply. I agree with you. Looking at the results, painting appears to be a great idea for areas you mentioned. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If I am right the cupboards are face framed so there is no off the shelf replacement doors. I still have a face frame linen/display cabinet in the passage, it will go one day for something else with the glass reused so I can have a traditional look but with modern fittings.

Depending on the rest of the house there is a market for places with traditional cabinetry rather than the new euro style.

Looking at my place I have a similar style sink and it's staying, I would rather have your cabinets than the beige my parents chose, your doors are a bit dark for my tastes though. White would be a safer choice of colour to suit most people.

I have looked at white safety glass doors (around $200 each), 19mm Tasmanian Oak solid doors, Tas Oak with frosted glass inserts and Tas Oak with leadlights. I need to give myself a quick crash course in DIY leadlighting, it doesn't look that hard to do straight lines ( famous last words? ) and match the diamond pattern in the passage done in a green to match the tiles I don't want to replace. Will laminate some timber for benchtops and will have to invest in a mason mitre jig for the corner cupboard ( $300 ) and wanting dovetail drawers a jig to make jigs is (<$100) or to go fully equipped ($556+). For the floor I may tile as there will be an overload of timber in the house as much as I hate tiling.

Hi @MitchellMc 

To complete this project I would need someone who can install new vinyl floors (30 sqm approx) and also paint the full interior of the  3 bed house (100 Sqm approx) including ceiling, walls, doors, windows, incl. kitchen cupboard doors, tiles and bench top as shown in the photo. Please advise how best to source this. My postcode is 3075.

Thanks

Hello @New2this 

Totally agree with @MitchellMc on this one. Do a paint over in white, total money saver. But I would paint the whole lot, pantry door, wall cabinet and everything that is dark brown into white. I would suggest taking the dish rack cabinet display above the bench top. This is currently creating a crowded or cramped look in the kitchen. It's like it was added on as an after thought when the kitchen was originally built. By removing this cabinet it should make the kitchen feel a lot more open and give the impression that it's bigger. Paint the bench top in a dark color to create contrast, buy some stick on subway tiles to create a new tiled look without the new tiled expense. Replace the curtains with cheap roller blinds or Venetians.

Taking that next step up? Replace the old bench top with some timber panels, there are some good choices at Bunnings see if anything catches your eye. Replace the sink, triple check your sizes and make sure they will fit into your cabinets. Last one I promise, add a canopy range hood ( set to re-circulation mode, no need to duct. ) With these light additions it should give your kitchen a new feel. Oh and one more ( yes I know I promised ) replace the yellow light in the kitchen with an affordable ceiling light cover in daylight. This will remove the yellow over cast over the entire area. That's it no more additions. Take care, good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

Lets pretend your old doors disapeared in the whiteness of your kitchen.Lets pretend your old doors disapeared in the whiteness of your kitchen.The panel off cuts can be turned into shelves below the aircon unit.The panel off cuts can be turned into shelves below the aircon unit.newtothis3.jpgnewtothis4.jpgnewtothis5.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01 for your very valuable contribution. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @New2this,

If you would like to find a tradesman to perform your job, we suggest you visit a site such as hipages and Airtasker or consider the range of in-home services from Bunnings.

If you wished to attempt these items yourself then our community members are always here to assist with any questions you might have. Here are some helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorials about How to paint/update your existing splashback with paintHow to paint a kitchen benchtop with Dulux and How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets which I trust you would find of assistance in the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects