Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen taps and sink

JillofallTrades
Growing in Experience

Kitchen taps and sink

Hi everyone, about halfway through pulling out all the old kitchen cupboards and need to remove the sink and taps. Is this something that I can do myself or does it need to be a plumber? Not sure at this stage if sink will be repositioned in the new kitchen, but I have easy access under the house to relocate pipes if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help 🙏

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen taps and sink

Sorry but I don't know the legal answer to this @JillofallTrades however I do know it's easy to do. Given your username I'm guessing you're not concerned about how, just whether or not you're allowed to.

The rule may even differ depending on which state you live in.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Titles can be deceiving 🤣  I guess my real question (silly as it may be) is how do I stop water coming through these pipes once taps are removed? Is there some sort of cut-off valve on the pipes? Or do I need a cap of some sort where the pipes come though the kitchen wall?

Fair enough then @JillofallTrades  😋

There are a couple of options.

Mixer tap

Turn main supply off, remove mixer and sink then reattach mixer to pipes, ensure the mixer is in off/closed position, then turn the mains back on slowly.

Separate taps/faucet

Before you start, buy some flex hoses if they're not already fitted. Then turn main supply off, remove taps/faucet and sink, connect the flex hoses then the taps/faucet. Ensure the mixer is in off/closed position, then turn the mains back on slowly.

Feel free to send a photo through of your tap hardware and also underneath where the pipes connect up to make sure the above applies to you.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

As previously advised, turn off mains water feed to your property, open taps to let water drain out of your system. remove/undo taps, then fit a couple of brass Blanking caps onto your kitchen outlet pipes using threadtape or similar. Turn water mains back on and alls good.
Cheers
Johnny
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff @Johnnynl, many thanks for joining the discussion. Fantastic to see you back on the site sharing your vast experience and knowledge. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon!

Hope all is well,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks guys, appreciate the help! Have purchased some caps, borrowing a pipe wrench today, plan is to remove sink and taps tomorrow. Here's fingers crossed!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects