Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen renovation advice

Angelina
Growing in Experience

Kitchen renovation advice

Hi Everyone

We're in the process of buying a old weatherboard house.  We have never done a renno before, so I am trying to gather information and learn as much as I can about the journey we are about to undertake!

This is the current kitchen and the floor plan, the rooms are small and we would like to open up the kitchen by removing the wall between the dining room and kitchen. 

Any advice or ideas on anything would be lovely, I know we will have to get professional help in, but given we have a relatively small budget and there is a lot to do, any tips or hints before we start would be most helpful.

I imagine you will be seeing a lot of me in these forums!!  :smile: 

Thanks in advance!

Kitchen .jpg

floorplan1.jpg

Re: Kitchen Renovation Advice

@Angelina Have you thought about whether you'll go for a 900mm oven or two smaller ones? And are you looking at gas/induction stovetop? I think the verdict is still out on these topics.

I'm putting a 900mm built-in oven in my new place with a 900mm induction cooktop. I was sceptical of induction cooktops at first but through many recommendations form friends/colleagues and also using one at a holiday home for a few days I really like it.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Angelina
Growing in Experience

Thanks RennoQueen!

Sorry for my late reply, we have been crazy busy packing, cleaning and getting ready to move into our new house!

So I have thought about moving the kitchen downstairs and to the back of the house, as I agree it would be better to add a deck onto the back of the house and maybe at some point a pool, this is the back of the house at the moment.  We were thinking of getting rid of the water tank (as there is another one at the other end of the house) and taking the deck all along the side of the house to the back. We would then put in some bi-folding doors to open it onto the garden.

In terms of style, I am leaning towards a more rustic, Scandi feel, lots of wood quite basic and very homley.  Every house has these high gloss white super modern kitchens, but I just dont think it will suit this house or our style at all.  I quite like this Ikea kitchen.....08-Kitchen-in-Luke-and-Mikahl-Tierneys-Australian-Weatherboard-House-DesignSponge.jpgdownload.jpeg

garden.jpg

adamc
Just Starting Out

Hi Angelina
We're moving into our first home shortly and have a similar need to push back a wall to expand our kitchen aswell.
Can you advise how you got those floor plans?
Angelina
Growing in Experience

Hi Adam

The floorplans are just from the RealEstate listing of the house we bought.  

Hope that helps!

Angela :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for clarifying @Angelina, I'm sure Adam appreciates it.

@adamc, let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community and a big congratulations on your new home. This must be a very exciting time for you. I am looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans, and know that you'll get plenty of helpful advice and inspiration from our community members.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oven size is a hard decision. 

It's great to have a big oven for entertaining but then they not only take up more kitchen space but more importantly, take longer to heat up every time you use them. Remember that most barbecues these days double as an oven...

Good luck,

Kev

angela1.pngangela2.pngangela3.pngangela4.pngangela6.png

Hello @Angelina,

I sometimes draw in the evening to relax and unwind. Perhaps you'll like my ideas or perhaps you had something else in mind. In any case if I have the time and you would like to see this in another configuration drop me a line. Flatpack systems as usual and of course bamboo benchtops. Hope you enjoy my ideas, please note drawings are not to scale and are for possible ideas only.

Cheers!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects