Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen renovation advice

Angelina
Growing in Experience

Kitchen renovation advice

Hi Everyone

We're in the process of buying a old weatherboard house.  We have never done a renno before, so I am trying to gather information and learn as much as I can about the journey we are about to undertake!

This is the current kitchen and the floor plan, the rooms are small and we would like to open up the kitchen by removing the wall between the dining room and kitchen. 

Any advice or ideas on anything would be lovely, I know we will have to get professional help in, but given we have a relatively small budget and there is a lot to do, any tips or hints before we start would be most helpful.

I imagine you will be seeing a lot of me in these forums!!  :smile: 

Thanks in advance!

Kitchen .jpg

floorplan1.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Kitchen Renovation Advice

Congratulations on the new purchase @Angelina. This must be such an exciting time for you. 

I'm sure the ever-helpful Workshop community will be able to provide lots of advice and inspiration for your renovation project.

How much are you planning to do yourselves? Are you going to live in the house while you undertake the work? And are you planning to keep anything from the existing kitchen or completely start again?

Here's some previous Workshop discussions that you might be interested in:

Welcome to Workshop.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Opening up the kitchen and dining is the right move @Angelina. Hopefully you have room for an island bench and can take advantage of both decks. It is a little unusual to have the kitchen upstairs, but I don't see a way of changing that without huge expense. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Angelina,

I should have also directed you to read Belinda Smith's story and top tips for renovators on our blog - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/A-lifetime-of-renovating/ba-p/17493

@2Belindas might also like to offer her input into your project. 

Are you planning on doing anything else to the property apart from the kitchen and shed renovation?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Guys before you get all excited about the kitchen colours
@Angelina  might wish to check on the wall that's going to be removed in the kitchen to see if it's a Structural Wall 

Also check your Balcony/Balustrading  hth

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

It would be good to know a little more about your tastes and what style you're after. Perhaps some photos of other kitchens you like? 

Agree that one thing the house is missing is an outdoor entertaining area that flows into the indoors. But you could sacrifice the back bedrooms on the ground floor and turn that into a family area that then opens up to a back deck. 

Thanks BIM_Engineer!

Yes totally agree, I would be a bit disappointed if it was and it stopped us from opening up the room, so we'll have to wait and see.

I had a look at the link you attached, thank you, and noticed that it has to do with the type of roof, this is the only photo I have from the inspection, so not sure if you can tell me anymore from that?

If it is a supporting wall, can you take the wall out but leave like a post/pillar at the end?  Could that be an option?

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 4.07.50 pm.png

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Angelina
Thanks for the photo
Assuming there is a hip roof over the existing FMD Area then the dividing wall which is to be removed is load bearing
The removal of the wall becomes awkward not to mention costly...and requires an expert
The process briefly  is
1. Remove a portion of the gyprock adjacent to the wall that is being taken out for access
2.Temporary Prop the ceiling From beneath
3. Temporarily prop the under purlins from within the roof if required
4. Place a new beam within the roof over the wall to be removed
5.Connect ceiling Hangers to the new Timber Beam and ceiling joist halves
6.Rebrace /Fan Strut off the new timber beam to the underpurlins

7. Have  Electricals and Plumbing disconnected
7.Once the loads have been taken off the wall and  redistributed to the new support beam the wall below can be removed
8. Patch Ceiling & Repaint

As Usual here's a great video by James Mason from our build

Super useful to know - thank you! 

Its great to have options, don't suppose you have any idea how much this would cost approximately?  Like a ball park figure?

Exciting times @Angelina! Where are you located?
Looks like a great project you've got ahead of you. Plenty to learn, some nice challenges - it'll be an amazing experience for you. Don't underestimate your own capabilities though - even if you haven't done something before, you won't know if you can until you try. Cabinetry, benchtops, tiling, flooring are all pretty straight forward and can save you some serious $$$.
You should start a Pinterest board and share the link here so we can get an idea of your tastes, etc :smile:
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects