Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen herb storage ideas

Andadams
Having an Impact

Kitchen herb storage ideas

Does anyone have any nifty suggestions for dried herb storage for a fairly compact kitchen? I have a large array of herbs which would be great to find a way to have them easily accessible and organised.

Herbs.jpg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Kitchen herb storage ideas

I love drawers. Much better use of space than shelves.

Herbs_and_spices.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I've found the best way is to use racks so you can stack on top of each other. I've got a pic but can't upload on phone so I'll have to do it later. I'll PM you in the meantime @Andadams
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
ralph
Getting Established

We have a medium sized kitchen, however this spice rack can pretty much fit into any kitchen pantry if there is enough space.

Basically my wife wanted a good size spice rack. So we did some research and took photos of about half a dozen different types. She showed me bits and pieces of different ones that she liked.

I measured the door to find the maximum size of the rack I could mount onto the door comfortably. I had the design in my head and proceeded to build it from that.

I fitted it all together with screws, pre drilling the holes before fitting screws.

After completing the rack I then disassembled it and stained each piece of timber individually and reassembled it. I then gave it a coat of clear lacquer and fitted it to the door. 

And Bob's your Uncle, One happy wife.

spice-rack.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @ralph. Many thanks for sharing.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your handiwork soon.

Please let me know if you need a hand to get the most from the site, or have any feedback.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Hi @Andadams, what did you end up doing for your herb and spice storage? I've been searching the internet for some creative DIY ideas to sort our herbs and spices out but i'm yet to come across anything I really like. Anyone else have any more suggestions?

Andadams
Having an Impact

Hey @aly, We still haven't yet gotten around to sorting out the spices. But we have decided on making some nice shelving to sit on out in the open (see example below). Going for some larger shelves so we can have have bigger jars/containers for spices as opposed to your supermaket tiny glass containers. Plus I feel it looks neater for on display with some simple jam jar style containers and black labels.

Herb Storage.JPG

Thanks @ralph, we are going to take on your idea of the on display shelving, but opting for wider shelves to hold bigger spice containers. Added to our list of weekend jobs!

Sounds great @Andadams! I'm yet to decide what i'll do! I like the idea of a magnetic shelf which i've seen online a few times - perhaps i'll look into that too!

aly
Making a Splash

I finally got around to making that herb rack i'd previously mentioned! Here's an image of what I ended up doing. I grabbed some simple flat pack spice racks that are designed to be fixed to pantry doors. Instead I got some ply pre-cut at Bunnings and screwed the racks into the ply board so they'd be tiered three high. I haven't fixed the two boards together but simply placed them in the corner of our kitchen bench. Whilst not the most aesthetically pleasing herb rack, it's perfect for storing all of our herbs and makes them very portable. All up this project was rather easy and cost effective - very happy!

herb-rack

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects