Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is Bellesi stainless steel splashback difficult to remove?

flyingcat
Getting Established

Is Bellesi stainless steel splashback difficult to remove?

I installed a gas cooker recently and in need of adding a splashback. I am currently looking at a stainless steel one like this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/splashback-stainless-steel-650x897x1mm-horizontal-grain_p2669959

It's to be adhered with neutral cure translucent silicone.

In case one day I want to renovate my kitchen and have to remove that splashback, will that be a difficult thing to do? Mine is a brick wall.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is Bellesi stainless steel splashback difficult to remove?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @flyingcat. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Any adhesive used on brickwork is going to be reasonably difficult to remove. The textured nature of bricks allows adhesive to penetrate into their surface and this can be a pain to remove. It would be worth using a paintable neutral cure translucent silicone similar to Selleys 260g All Clear Multipurpose Sealant. That way in the future you have the option of painting the surface.

Silicone is reasonably soft compared to a construction adhesive. It can be removed with Selleys 375g Silicone Remover and a stiff bristle brush will help you get the product out of the texture of the brick. However, I believe it would be difficult to restore them to the same appearance of the surrounding bricks even after removing the silicone.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. That's very useful information.

Mitchell, hope you can provide some further assistance. Thanks in advanced.

If I am to buy the splashback and glue it myself using a caulk gun, what tips and rules of thumb should I be made aware of? Any common mistake that first time user of a caulk gun should know about? When I push the splashback against the wall, there should be no visible gap, is that correct? Will the splashback stay attached on the wall in the beginning, or should there be something holding it up until the silicone glue hardens?

Hi @flyingcat

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to install a stainless steel splashback.

One of the first things I had trouble with when using a caulking gun was how to get it to stop flowing. There is a little tab on the back of the gun which when depressed releases the pressure. Also, try to keep your beads of caulk to a consistent width. If you lay one thick line then a thin one you'll end up with a wavy splashback.

You'll be aiming for no gap when pushing the splashback against the wall. In the tutorial, they use packers to hold the splashback in place whilst the glue dries. You could use Scotchblue 48mm x 55m Original Multi-Surface Painter's Masking Tape or another wide tape to hold it in place if packers aren't an option. I think you'll find the silicone does a reasonable job at holding the splashback to the wall. I would still advise taping it to ensure it doesn't peel away.

Make sure you take plenty of before and after images as I trust our members will be thrilled to see your transformation.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot Mitchell. This is great advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects