Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing a dishwasher under an existing countertop

mattylara027
Cultivating a Following

Installing a dishwasher under an existing countertop

Hi Workshop Community!

I'm about to install a dishwasher in my house under an existing benchtop. 

Are there any steps i need to do before installing the dishwasher? I've read online that I need to "seal" all the cabinetry, as the excess heat from the drying of dishes slowly degrades the exposed areas of the cabinetry.

Any help/recommendations would be really helpful!!

ThankDishwasher SpaceDishwasher SpaceTop of dishwasher spaceTop of dishwasher space

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Installing a dishwasher under an existing countertop

Hi @mattylara027,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join the community and look forward to reading about all of your home improvement projects and plans. We trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.  

Let me tag a few of our members with plumbing experience for you, including @LePallet@MitchellM and @redracer01.

You might also want to take a couple of photos of the kitchen so members can see what you are working with.

Thanks again for joining in the discussion on Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

It would not hurt to seal the cabinetry. Prudent and preventive are the words that come to mind when it comes to installing a dishwasher. My only suggestion to you when installing the inlet hose is to include a small shut off tap at the point where you attach the hose to your cold water line. Many a flooded kitchen would have been prevented had that tap been installed. Going away for a few days? Turn the dishwasher tap off. Long vacation? Tap off. The washing machine hose has a fixed lifespan hence a safety tap will be a way to shut the water off without turning the water off on the whole house. Since we put smoke alarms in our houses it would only make sense to put a leak alarm at the most likely point of failure. A leak alarm is basicly a water activated alarm ( you can get one at Bunnings under the Family first brand ). That pretty much should cover it, should you run into any part that you need help with, don't hesitate to post a question here on the community.     

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

mattylara027
Cultivating a Following

Hi @redracer01,

Thanks so much for your post! 

Is there any product that you would recommend to seal the cabinetry with? 

Didn't think of the tap idea, but will definately take that on board :smile:

Thanks!

@mattylara027 Hi mate 

Ive never heard of sealing the cabinets but if people say so then go for it but personally wouldn’t make a difference.

i wound just use a stop tap or a ball valve lever for your water connection, go to your toilet and have a look for the idea 

good luck 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Having looked at your photo it seems that most of the exposed surfaces are covered in laminate. It should be relatively safe to put your dishwasher in without adding more sealant. The tap is called a mini stop tap also known as a cistern tap. You can get the kinetic brand which is like 5 dollars a piece.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

mattylara027
Cultivating a Following

Hi @LePallet,

Thanks for the the input. It's more sealing the underside of the countertop from the residual steam that could be emitting from the Dishwasher when in Drying Mode. That was really the only reason for sealing the exposed surfaces :smile:

@redracer01, Thanks for all your help! Really appreciate it :smile:

Thanks @LePallet and @redracer01 for all your help! Dishwasher went in the other day no dramas at all :20190304_004708757_iOS.jpg

Good job @mattylara027. Looks great!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Fantastic!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects