Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace the countertop / island bench?

firsttimereno
Just Starting Out

How to replace the countertop / island bench?

Hi everyone. Second Q on my kitchen...I would like to change the countertops & bench in my kitchen - firstly I don't know what material they currently are...I think they look acrylic? Should I paint these DIY using Dulux, or (my preference) would be to replace these but I have no idea at what cost, or who could do it? Any tips to improve this? kitchen2.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace the countertop / island bench?

They just look like a laminate product @firsttimereno - decent long-lasting stuff for the price.

While you can get away with repainting cabinetry, I'd steer away from the idea for benchtops as they will scratch and wear over (a relatively short amount of) time. It'd be best to replace these. You could go with a new laminate option, or maybe even a nice bamboo. It'll come down to budget and a good way to get an idea of pricing is to get a quote from Bunnings for a Kaboodle fitout then do a bit of a shop around. Replacing/installing isn't too difficult - it really depend son which option you go for.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace the countertop / island bench?

Hi @firsttimereno,

You might be interested to see what the @MakeItYours team did with their kitchen and dining room renovation, which included painting the benchtops to keep the budget as low as possible.

I will also embed a video below from the Bunnings team which features the Dulux Renovation range. Hope you find it useful. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects