Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint tiles

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How to paint tiles

Paintbrush.jpg

With wild weather currently discouraging many Aussies from venturing outside, many people are concentrating on indoor projects at the moment.

The Bunnings team report that one of their most-watched videos at present is How to Paint Tiles.

Painting tiles is seen as a quicker and easier alternative to re-tiling, and can give a significant cosmetic lift to an area that has become dated.

Have you ever painted tiles or are you considering giving a tiled area a refresh? Please let us know in the discussion below.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to paint tiles

I've seen painted tiles in person and on DIY TV shows and they just look terrible.  Personally I wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely necessary.  I believe if you could 'spray' the product on, it would look a lot better (no brush marks). 

Looking at the cost at a minimum $100 + (primer and top coat, brush, masking tape etc), depending on the size of the area, you could probably re-tile for roughly the same amount.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Re: How to paint tiles

A neighbour of ours used to spray tiles both floor and wall for a living he had people working for him. In fact he spray painted his roof tiles with the same small spraypot.

Spraying or brushing tiles is not hard you can do it with a spray can. It's the preparation that is hard yaka. The entire surface has to be completely sanded with about 180 grit is fine but do not miss even a small section as the paint will not key into the freshly opened pours in the surface [that is why you sand of the shiny surface]. I said it was hard as most people only use a 240 or finer grit sandpaper and they only take the shine off and not open the surface. You must it is not just important but the MUST do.

Also if you do not get rid of the shiny surface forget it. It is that important. then completely eliminate the dust as it is easy to fill those minute holes [don't get carried away and go to deep as it also makes the job not worth doing] with the dust again filling the very thing that will allow the paint to bond to the surface.

If you have prepare the surface properly. Spray fine[mist] coats until the marks of the sand paper are filled. Now you have a beautifully finished job that will last for years instead of a mess that might last a couple of months. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects